Almost 2,000 return to homes as floods recede down south


JOHOR BARU: More than 1,800 people in temporary relief centres in Johor have been allowed to return home as the flood situation in the state continues to improve.

State health and environment committee chairman R. Vidyananthan said that as of 4pm on Thursday (Jan 14), the number of people in temporary relief centres statewide has dropped to 892 from 2,752 previously.

"We have shut down 17 more temporary relief centres as of 4pm and there are currently only 10 such centres that are still open in the five affected districts.

"Kota Tinggi remains as the district with the highest number of victims with a total of 612 individuals from 165 families in the five remaining centres.

“Johor Baru has 118 victims from 72 families in two centres, Segamat with 76 victims from 20 families in one centre, Kluang has 74 victims from 17 families in one centre while Batu Pahat has only 12 victims from two families left in one temporary relief centre, ” he said in a statement here on Thursday.

He added that only the Jalan Kota Tinggi - Kluang in Kluang is still closed due to the flood as of 4pm on Thursday while other roads that were previously closed have now been opened.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Flood , Johor , R. Vidyananthan

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

MCO 2.0: Important to balance economic, health aspects, says Ismail Sabri
Covid-19: A year on, Malaysia still grapples with coronavirus
Nadia rejects Hollywood lead role over nudity scenes
Mechanic gives youths chance to learn trade
‘Tighten SOP at sources of infection’
PJ police chief: Stop giving petty excuses
Housekeeping Covid-19 away
Pandemic weighing on their minds
Teachers, students and parents facing PdPR challenges
Connectivity and cost of devices remain a concern

Stories You'll Enjoy