Chow: Wait for test results first


Penang chief minister Chow Kon Yeow

GEORGE TOWN: The state will wait for all the Covid-19 test results and home quarantine outcome of state assemblymen who went to Sabah recently before deciding on how to hold the Oct 12 state assembly meeting.

Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said so far, all the elected state representatives who went to Sabah to help with the election campaign had tested negative.

“I understand that Health Department required them to stay at home for 14 days.

“We need the final results of the quarantine period. If any of the assemblymen are affected, we are open to readjusting the way that the state assembly meeting is conducted, ” he said.

Chow said the few assemblymen who went to Sabah to help with the campaigning had come back on or before Sept 26, and their home quarantine period would have ended before the scheduled assembly meeting on Oct 12.

Since the Sabah election, new cases linked to those who travelled there have been emerging in nearly every state, including Penang.

Bernama reported yesterday that a school in Permatang Janggus in Penaga on the northern end of mainland Penang was ordered to close till Oct 8 after a teacher there tested positive.

It is learnt that the teacher, who lives in Sungai Petani, Kedah, is the wife of a Kedahan politician. She went with her husband to Sabah and eventually tested positive.

On April 17, the state assembly convened for only a little under four hours under a strict movement control order.

Only assemblymen and essential staff members were allowed inside Dewan Sri Pinang. The usual army of personal assistants and the media stayed out. To maintain transparency, the meeting was broadcast live over the Internet.

Yang di-Pertua Negeri Tun Abdul Rahman Abbas appeared in the hall briefly to open the meeting.

Opposition Leader Datuk Muhamad Yusoff Mohd Noor gave his speech and Chow delivered the Chief Ministerial Address. No other assemblymen were allowed to speak and all their questions were answered by the state executive council in writing.

The state government will need to table next year’s budget for approval during the Oct 12 meeting.

It is also tabling a motion to declare four assembly seats vacant after these assemblymen announced that they had lost faith in Pakatan Harapan.

They are Khaliq Mehtab Mohd Ishaq (Bertam) and Zolkifli Md Lazim (Teluk Bahang) from Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (Bersatu) and Dr Afif Bahardin (Seberang Jaya; left PKR and joined Bersatu) and Zulkifli Ibrahim (Sungai Acheh; sacked from PKR and now an Independent supporting Perikatan Nasional).

Yesterday, Khaliq Mehtab, Zolkifli and Zulkifli filed a letter of demand to challenge the state government for their move to file such a motion.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Health DG calls for special task force to look into issues affecting contract doctors
Covid-19: About 40% of frontliners in Port Klang fully vaccinated
Several Opposition lawmakers push for Ivermectin to treat Covid-19, but Bandar Kuching MP urges evidence-based approach
Covid-19: Three clusters linked to interstate travel
Health Minister to revisit Klang hospital following allegations of dire conditions
Manhunt on for Covid-19 patient who fled while being taken to quarantine centre in Likas
Covid-19: Number of deaths equals previous high of 207
Cops issue compound notice to Tajuddin for not wearing face mask at Parliament
Police nab 465 people for various SOP violations
Twenty-seven localities in Sabah among others to be placed under EMCO

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers