Covid-19: New cluster identified in Kedah after death of man in emergency ward


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 30 Sep 2020

PETALING JAYA: A new Covid-19 cluster has been detected in Alor Setar, Kedah, involving a 46-year-old local man who died on Wednesday evening (Sept 30), says the Health Ministry.

It said the Tembok cluster was confirmed after the man tested positive for Covid-19 on Monday (Sept 28), after being rushed to Hospital Sultanah Bahiyah's emergency department with breathing difficulties which began from Sept 21.

"His condition deteriorated and he was pronounced dead at 6.15pm.

"Test for Covid-19 turned up positive," Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said in a statement on Wednesday (Sept 30).

He said the deceased was a diabetic with a history of heart and kidney disease.

Following this, he added, screening that was done revealed two close contacts of the deceased tested positive for the virus. They have been admitted to Hospital Sultanah Bahiyah for treatment.

As of noon Wednesday (Sept 30), Dr Noor Hisham said, 169 individuals connected to the cluster had been screened, with three positive cases being confirmed, while the remaining 166 were awaiting results.

He said investigations were underway to determine the source of the infection.

The 46-year-old local was among the two deaths recorded on Wednesday (Sept 30).

The other fatality involved a 70-year-old man suffering from end stage cancer who passed away at his home on Sept 26, where tests at Hospital Tawau, Sabah, on Tuesday (Sept 29) confirmed Covid-19 infection.

A total of 136 deaths have been recorded due to Covid-19 since the pandemic outbreak earlier this year.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Covid-19 , Tembok cluster , Kedah , Health Ministry

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

90% readers found this article insightful

Across the site