PETALING JAYA: A new cluster has emerged in Sabah involving illegal foreigners in Kunak, says Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah.
Named the Laut cluster, he said four infections were detected among the migrants.
It started with a man who was deported to Zamboanga, the Philippines, on Aug 27 but then returned to Sabah via jalan tikus (illicit shortcuts) on Sept 5 to visit his wife.
On Sept 8, his wife was found to be positive during a screening that was conducted after she was referred from Hospital Kunak to Hospital Tawau for further treatment as she suffered bleeding complications after giving birth.
Subsequent active case detection found that the man’s child and neighbour were also infected.
So far, 49 Philippine nationals linked to this cluster had been screened, with 14 testing negative and 31 still awaiting results.
In a statement yesterday, Dr Noor Hisham also provided an update on the Benteng Lahad Datu cluster, which saw a massive new 167 cases on Friday.
The cluster, which started after the arrest of two illegal migrants, saw 44 new infections yesterday.
As of yesterday, a total of 4,089 people linked to Benteng Lahad Datu had been screened, including detainees, staff, family members, other government agency staff and casual contacts.
Out of this number, 1,164 were confirmed negative while 2,544 are awaiting their results.
Overall, Dr Noor Hisham said Malaysia recorded 58 new cases yesterday, five of which were imported.The total number of infections in Malaysia now stands at 9,868, with 9,189 having recovered.
“There were nine cases as of yesterday in the intensive care unit with five needing ventilators, ” said Dr Noor Hisham.