Applications for MM2H temporarily frozen due to programme being reviewed, says Nancy


KUCHING: New applications for Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) have been temporarily frozen as the programme is being reviewed, says Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri.

The Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister said the review was aimed at improving the MM2H programme and the approval process.

"During the movement control order (MCO), we discovered that there is a lot we can do to improve the MM2H programme.

"So the government is using this opportunity during the MCO to review the programme, looking into its activities and also the process involved in the approval," she told reporters after visiting the Songket and Keringkam Gallery here on Thursday (July 2).

Nancy was commenting on reports that MM2H applications had been frozen while the MM2H office at the ministry had been closed and moved to the Immigration Department.

She said the Immigration Department was re-looking the approval process while the ministry was also conducting a study into the programme.

"We're targeting to get everything done by December. It's not a permanent closure because the programme contributes to our economy.

"It should resume by next year. We can't afford to leave it frozen for a long time as it involves money for the country," Nancy said.

Meanwhile, state Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Datuk Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah said the temporary freeze only applied to Peninsular Malaysia.

"In Sarawak, it is still ongoing. This is because Sarawak has its own immigration and land policies," he said, adding that the state Cabinet approved a number of MM2H applications at its last meeting recently.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

89% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

Covid-19: Melaka police chief to work from office despite positive cases
Muhyiddin to deliver address on special aid package at 4pm Monday (Jan 18)
Civil servant loses RM200k to Macau scam
Sabah remains on flood alert amidst damage from heavy weekend rains
Three friends charged with murdering man in forest
Tg Karang MP Noh Omar, family undergo Covid-19 screening after son-in-law tests positive
Perak to investigate claims of environmental damage at Segari waterfall
Group of Opposition lawmakers urge gov to review opening hours for eateries under MCO
Broker claims trial to charge of killing two cats in Seberang Jaya
Sg Besar Umno chief Jamal Yunos claims trial to two counts of sharing offensive content

Stories You'll Enjoy