Chicken farmer loses entire livestock to fire


  • Nation
  • Monday, 22 Jun 2020

Compiled by SIRA HABIBU, ALLISON LAI and R. ARAVINTHAN

A TOTAL of 15,000 chicks died in a fire that razed a chicken farm in Kampung Sidam Kiri in Kedah.

Oriental Daily reported that the fire started at about 5.55pm on Saturday.

The farm owner was said to be too upset to comment as the chicks had just been placed at the farm that morning.

A team of firefighters rushed to the scene at 6.15pm.

The fire spread fast and the farm could not be saved.

> China Press reported that a kopitiam operator in Kulai, Johor, had put up a “catchy” sign to prevent patrons from flouting the social distancing rule while dining in.

“Follow the rules of MPKu (Kulai Municipal Council). One table for maximum of three people (sic).

“If four people want to be seated at a table, leave RM10,000 in deposit,” read the message on a notice board, adding that anyone who is not happy with the rules can go to another shop.

The 36-year-old owner said he had resorted to such a warning because he was fined RM1,000 last month when one of the tables was occupied by four people during a spot check.

Showing the CCTV recording of the incident on May 27, he said some customers refused to follow the rules even when told.

“A group came and insisted to have all four people at a table. One of them even claimed that a minister had announced that up to 10 people can sit together.

“What I know is that MPKu only allows a maximum of three people at a table.

“I have no choice but to tell them to leave a deposit if they insist,” he said, adding that he did not want to be fined for someone else’s mistake again.

> Sin Chew Daily reported that a 40-year-old man died at a hospital in India after his family members allegedly unplugged the ventilator he was on to plug in an air cooler.

The man was suspected of being infected with Covid-19 and had been admitted in the intensive care unit of the Maharao Bhim Singh Hospital on June 13.

Since it was warm in the isolation ward, his family members bought an air cooler.

However, they could not find other power points to plug it in and were said to have unplugged the ventilator, which ran out of power about half an hour later.

The hospital said a special committee will investigate the matter.

The above articles are compiled from the vernacular newspapers (Bahasa Malaysia, Chinese and Tamil dailies). As such, stories are grouped according to the respective language/medium. Where a paragraph begins with a >, it denotes a separate news item.

Article type: free
User access status:

fire , social distancing , ventilator

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

89% readers found this article insightful

Across the site