MCO or not, Ismail Sabri says efforts to weed out illegals will continue


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 12 May 2020

PUTRAJAYA: The Immigration Department's operation against illegal immigrants is a continuous exercise to weed out undocumented foreigners, says Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri.

He said this has nothing to do with the movement control order, adding that efforts to nab illegals will continue even after the order is lifted.

He defended the move by the department, saying that the country has laws against those who enter without any valid documents.

"I believe this law is the same in any other country. One cannot enter and remain in a country without documents. For those who criticise us, please check if similar laws are applied in your country. If it is the same, then we are only carrying out our laws," he said.

Malaysia's actions against foreign illegals during the MCO had received criticism, including from international bodies.

The latest raid on foreigners was on May 11 at the Kuala Lumpur wholesale market.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 0
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Asst cook remanded over employer's death
Wisma Putra: No report of Malaysians affected in Turkiye earthquake so far
Police inspector killed in road accident in Tumpat
Nine months' free Internet for 1,488 B40 folk under Jendela@PPR scheme
Dilapidated railway station in Sabah turns to ‘dust’
Kuantan woman says lost RM53,875 to online job scam
Each emergency dept faces own challenges that can lead to delays, says Health Minister
Homemade pistol and air rifles seized in Dungun police raids
Umno polls ongoing, no need to urge any leader to step down, says party veep
Man awakened by loud blast saves family from burning house in Sepanggar

Others Also Read