Dr Malek Reedzwan Che Hassan (pic) told judge Datuk Ab Karim Ab Rahman that he did not tell the police Nazrin had received death threats before his sudden demise in June 2018, because he was sure they would find out about it on their own.
“I was confident the police would use their expertise to find out about it,” he said during the trial yesterday.
Dr Malek, who was responding to questions by DPP Asyraf Ashy’ri Kamaruzzaman, also said he obtained this information based on his own initiative, as he tried to find out what might have led to his brother’s death.
According to him, Nazrin’s personal assistant “Anis” told him about the matter.
“When a death is suspicious, with no illness, there is a sense of needing to know what might have actually happened,” said Dr Malek.
He added that the information was obtained solely for his own knowledge.
Earlier in the day, lead defence counsel Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah questioned Dr Malek on his relationship with Nazrin.
Shafee said the ties between the two brothers were not good and asked Dr Malek if he had been to his younger brother’s home.
The witness refuted Shafee’s statement about their ties not being good, but said he had never been to Nazrin’s home.
In the dock is Nazrin’s widow Samirah Muzaffar, 44, together with two teenagers, aged 14 and 17.
The three and Indonesian national Eka Wahyu Lestari, who is still at large, are accused of murdering Nazrin, 47, at a house in Mutiara Damansara between 11.30pm on June 13, 2018, and 4am on June 14, 2018.
They were charged under Section 302 of the Penal Code in conjunction with Section 34 of the same code, which comes with the mandatory death sentence upon conviction.
The Shah Alam High Court granted the two boys bail of RM50,000 with two sureties in March, while the Federal Court allowed Samirah bail of RM500,000 with two sureties last May.
The hearing continues in May.
What do you think of this article?