KOTA KINABALU: Edward Taning, a disabled man famous for his backwards-walking stunts for charity, is targeting a more challenging gig.
The 59-year-old, who hails from Kiulu, plans to scale and descend Mount Kinabalu backwards this March within six days, covering 20km in total.
His feat is targeted to raise RM500,000 for various fundraising purposes, said Kinabalu Mountain Guides Association deputy chairman Richard Soibi, who is the project coordinator, on Tuesday (Jan 28).
Taning, who has cerebral palsy since he was nine, which affects his right leg, did his first backwards-walking stunt by going up the mountain in 1992. However, he has never walked backwards climbing down.
He has also walked backwards from Sandakan to Kota Kinabalu in 2009, and Lahad Datu to Penampang in 2012 to raise funds for charity.
“Our courtesy call to the Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal today is to ask him to become a patron to the project, which he has agreed.
“We also want to seek support from the Chief Minister’s Department so that our charity event will be tax-exempted for donors, ” Soibi told reporters on the sidelines of the courtesy call.
Shafie has also agreed to a contribution of RM95,000 from the Chief Minister’s Department for the cause.
“The main objective is to raise funds for a disabled institution in Ranau called Pusat Pemulihan Dalam Komuniti (PPDK), where we were told students need a bus.
“Secondly, to build an open hall facility for SK Bundu Tuhan in Ranau, and lastly to generate funding for our association to buy equipment for the mountain guide hostels at Mount Kinabalu.
“The association will help facilitate the programme which is tentatively scheduled on March 8 to March 13," said Soibi.
Meanwhile, Taning said based on the two training session done so far, he was confident of being able to pull off the stunt successfully.
Backwards-walking, Edward Taning, Disabled, Charity, Mount Kinabalu, Richard Soibi, Mohd Shafie Apdal
Did you find this article insightful?