‘No touts involved in B4G’


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 25 Sep 2019

Terms and conditions: A sign detailing information on the B4G programme at the state Immigration Department headquarters in Seberang Jaya, Penang.

SHAH ALAM: Illegal immigrants applying to return home under the Back for Good (B4G) programme can go directly to the Immigration Department to apply.

Selangor Immigration Department director Mohamad Shukri Nawi said they need not go through an intermediary but deal directly with the department’s officers instead.“Under the latest B4G programme, the government has never appointed any agents and the illegals have to go directly to the department’s processing counters to register.

“We will not deal with anyone else other than those who have overstayed,” he said, responding to an online report that touts were involved in the B4G programme.

“We don’t see how touts are relevant here as we are dealing directly with the applicants,” Shukri said, adding that the illegals would be processed, fingerprinted and compounded on the same day.

He said that besides a valid passport or an emergency travel document from their country of origin, the illegals must also produce air tickets with a departure date not more than seven days from the day they visit the department.

Shukri said the state office in Shah Alam received an average of 160 applications daily.

The B4G programme started on Aug 1 and will end on Dec 31.

To qualify for the programme, the illegals must have overstayed more than three months.

Their applications will be rejected if they are unable to show the entry date.

For those who want to return home but do not qualify for the B4G programme, they will be processed under the normal procedure.

Shukri said these illegal immigrants would not be arrested if they approached the department.

“We will find other ways to send them back,” he added.

In Butterworth, Bangladeshi Md Malik Abdul Mozid, 26, is hoping to return home soon after working in Malaysia illegally for four years.

“I came in 2015, but the company I was working with went bankrupt soon after I arrived.

“They did not help me with my permit and I was left on my own. I stayed here and found a job at a cleaning company,” he said.

Md Malik was among some 2,199 illegal immigrants who turned up at the state Immigration Department’s headquarters in Seberang Jaya to apply for the B4G programme.

State Immigration director Muhamad Husni Mahmud said most of the immigrants were from Indonesia with 998 applications, followed by Bangladesh (706).

He said most of them were compounded under Section 15 (4) of the Immigration Act 1956/63 (Act 155) for overstaying, while the rest were for staying in the country without any legal permit under Section 6(1)(c) of the same Act.

He added that there were also applications from illegal immigrants from India, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, China, Vietnam, Cameroon, Cambodia, the Philippines, Syria, Nigeria and Sri Lanka.“The response has been lukewarm. Yesterday, we got only 46 applications and there were 125 on Monday.

“It could be due to the decreasing number of illegal immigrants without permits here,” he said, adding that the department had so far collected about RM1.5mil in compounds.


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online