SEREMBAN: A regulatory framework being prepared by the Transport Ministry to govern motorcycle e-hailing service providers will also cover those using two-wheelers to deliver goods and other services, said minister Anthony Loke.
Loke said this was necessary as there was no law governing those who provided such services.
“The food and package delivery services have been running the past 20 years but we have never had laws or regulations to govern them.
“This is now necessary as we have received many complaints about how their jobs can be dangerous as they have to get to their destinations within a given time, ” he said after launching the Commuting Safety Support Programme (CSSP) at Wisma TNB here yesterday.
Loke said his ministry would include those providing such services together with the motorcycle e-hailing service to ensure they adhered to all safety rules.
This, he said, was necessary due to the high number of road fatalities involving motorcyclists.
“Last year, 66% of the 6,284 road fatalities in Malaysia involved motorcyclists. Also, findings by the Social Security Organisation (Socso) have revealed that 35,195 commuting accidents (trip from place of work to home and vice versa) were reported in 2018, and this is worrying, ” he added.
On Aug 22, Loke said that ministry had one month to present a paper to the Cabinet on the mechanics of introducing a motorcycle-based e-hailing service in the country, following the Cabinet’s in-principle approval on Aug 21.
Apart from a legal framework, he said the proposal would include other aspects such as road safety, insurance coverage, enforcement and cultural sensitivities.
The Cabinet has agreed to allow motorcycle e-hailing service as it promotes entrepreneurship, enterprise and other micro businesses.
On a separate matter, Loke said the government would not get involved if airlines go ahead with plans to seek compensation from Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) due to the four days of disruption and delay at the KL International Airport, which apparently caused them to lose tens of millions of ringgit.
He said the matter was strictly between the airlines and MAHB.
“On our part, we have set up a six-man committee chaired by my ministry secretary-general to investigate what happened.
“We have one month to report this to Cabinet, ” he added.
Yesterday, The Star quoted an anonymous airline CEO as saying the computer glitch caused his company to lose over RM6mil, while another airline saw losses of more than RM10mil.
A system failure caused major flight delays over the past few days, with MAHB having to resort to manual means to get passengers on their flights.
Flights were delayed for long periods of time, causing the airlines to incur costs to accommodate the widespread delays.
On MAHB’s statement that it has not ruled out the possibility of sabotage, Loke said this was too early to tell.
Did you find this article insightful?