‘Sex video probe will be fair’


All smiles: Abdul Hamid (second from left) mingling with other police officers during the annual general meetings in Melaka. — Bernama

MELAKA: There will be no supp­ression or unfair treatment in the police investigation into the sex video scandal said to involve Econ­omic Affairs Minister Datuk Seri Azmin Ali, says Inspector-General of Police Datuk Seri Abdul Hamid Bador.He said the investigation was in line with the rule of law.

“The matter is being handled by the investigation team. Let them do their job,” he said.

When asked whether it was possible that Azmin could be detained if there is enough evidence, Abdul Hamid said police have already taken his statement.

"In fact, during the early stages (of the investigation), we have recorded his statement.

"It will be up to the Attorney-General's Chambers to decide on further action," he told reporters at an event in Melaka.

In the meantime, Abdul Hamid said, the sex video was a sensitive issue and as such, his men needed time to thoroughly complete their probe.

“I would like to state again that, as the IGP, I wouldn’t like to be involved in any political polemic, except if someone accused me (without basis),” Abdul Hamid added, in an apparent reference to allegations by Umno supreme council member Datuk Lokman Noor Adam that the police chief had lied about the authenticity of the video.

Abdul Hamid said a police report had been lodged against Lokman and he would let his men investigate it.

Lokman recently alleged that forensic experts in Indonesia had confirmed the authenticity of the video recording.

He added that there was no evidence that it had been edited or manipulated.

Last week, Abdul Hamid said CyberSecurity Malaysia determined that the video was likely authentic but could not identify the men in the sex video through facial recognition software.

He also said investigations into the scandal revealed that there

was an evil conspiracy led by a political party leader to humiliate and damage the reputation of an individual.

He added that the video was produced by parties that paid hundreds of thousands of ringgit and spread it to cause unrest among the public.

So far, 11 people have been detained over the case, with eight of them released after their remand expired.

Among those detained, former Santubong PKR Youth chief Haziq Abdullah Abdul Aziz and Farhash Wafa Salvador Rizal Mubarak, who is PKR president Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim’s political secretary and Perak PKR chief, were released on Tuesday.

Haziq had confessed publicly that he was one of the two men in the video and alleged that the other person was Azmin.


   

Across The Star Online