PUTRAJAYA: We have evidence fugitive Malaysian financier Low Taek Jho took a lot of money for himself, says the Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
He said since Low, popularly known as Jho Low, had not been detected so far, the government had not recovered much of the funds from the 1MDB scandal.
"There is still a lot of money missing. The funds we have recovered are less than RM2bil.
"He (Jho Low) stole and lost it all. (With) 1MDB alone, he had taken RM42bil. Who got the money? Who is keeping the money? Where is the money?
"There is some evidence Jho Low took a lot of money for himself.
"We have problems trying to detect where he is but we are still after him," said Dr Mahathir on the efforts of the government in trying to recover the alleged stolen funds from 1MDB.
Dr Mahathir was speaking to the media on Monday (May 6) at a group interview held in conjunction with the first anniversary of Pakatan Harapan on May 9.
Low, popularly known as Jho Low, has been charged in Malaysia and the United States for his central role in the alleged theft of US$4.5bil from state fund 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB).
He has consistently denied any wrongdoing through spokesmen.