KUALA LUMPUR: Bukit Aman has rapped the Human Rights Commission of Malaysia (Suhakam) for alleging that its Special Branch department was involved in the disappearances of activist Amri Che Mat and Pastor Raymond Koh.
Acting Deputy Inspector-General of Police Comm Datuk Seri Abdul Hamid Bador (pic) said the commission’s action in revealing the inquiry’s conclusion had badly impacted the police.“As the current Bukit Aman Special Branch director, I am very affected by Suhakam’s allegations which implicated the department for (committing) actions that were clearly against the law.
“I am concerned with what have been said and alleged by the inquiry.
“The Prime Minister and the Home Minister have stated that if there is clearer proof or a need, the government will implement actions that will be fair in addressing matters raised by Suhakam,” he said after attending the graduation ceremony for 393 cadet inspectors at the Police Training Centre (Pulapol) yesterday.Bukit Aman, according to Comm Abdul Hamid, had given its full cooperation to Suhakam’s inquiry into the disappearances of both men by providing witnesses to be questioned.
“The IGP (Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun) had even set up an investigation committee in meeting Suhakam’s demands in tracking down both men, prior to the results of the inquiry.“I am confident that the IGP will have credible answers to the allegations raised by Suhakam. I believe he will issue a statement soon,” he said.
Asked on the efforts by the police to track down Koh and Amri, Comm Abdul Hamid said he did not have the information as he was not the Special Branch director during the time of their disappearance.
Koh went missing on Feb 13, 2017, after he was abducted by a group of men while on his way to a friend’s house in Petaling Jaya.
Amri, the co-founder of non-governmental organisation Perlis Hope, went missing on Nov 24, 2016, after stepping out of his home in Kangar at about 11.30pm.
“I only took over as the SB director last year ... I was not privy to the efforts taken at that time,” Comm Abdul Hamid said.
He also said that legal practitioners in the country had two schools of thought with regards to Suhakam’s findings.
“On one side are those who said that Suhakam should not have made the findings public before referring the matter to the government while there are also those who feel that what it did was not wrong.
“It is best that we wait for the IGP’s statement,” he said.
The inquiry by Suhakam, initiated under Section 12(1) of the Human Rights Commission of Malaysia Act, began on Oct 19, 2017 and ended on March 6.