PETALING JAYA: Two Malaysians were injured in the mosque massacre in New Zealand and are being treated in hospital, confirms the Foreign Ministry, while local media reports one is still missing.
The Malaysian High Commission in Wellington confirmed that the injured Malaysians were undergoing treatment in hospital.
Meanwhile, the New Zealand Herald said that the fate of one Malaysian, who was at the Masjid Al Noor on Deans Avenue in Christchurch, New Zealand for Friday prayers at the time of the mass shooting, is still unknown.
No one has been able to reach Rahimi Ahmad, 39, it reported in its online edition.
His wife Azila, who has been anxiously waiting for him, said no one knew what had happened to Rahimi.
“I just want to know he's safe, and I'm praying and hoping that he will call,” the poral quoted her as saying.
News reports said mass shootings occurred today at two mosques in the city of Christchurch on the east coast of New Zealand's South Island, and that an unknown number of people were dead and injured.
The official Facebook account of the Malaysian High Commissioner to New Zealand carried a post advising Malaysians living in New Zealand, especially Christchurch, to check whether any of their family members or friends had been injured in the shootings.
“(Malaysians) can contact the High Commissioner at +64-210440188 or +64220662118 or email us at email@example.com. Please follow the instructions of the authorities issued from time to time,” read the post.
This story is being continuously being updated as more information becomes available.