BUKIT MERTAJAM: The 21-year-old hairstylist who allegedly crashed his car into an SUV on the Penang Bridge before it plunged into the sea has surrendered to the police, says Central Seberang Prai OCPD Asst Comm Nik Ros Azhan Nik Abdul Hamid.
He said the man from Taman Inderawasih here, who turned himself in at 2am on Wednesday (Jan 23), is currently detained at the district police headquarters in Bandar Perda.
A three-hour postmortem conducted on the 20-year-old SUV driver Moey Yun Peng at the Seberang Jaya Hospital also revealed the cause of death as "drowning in an individual involved in a road traffic collision".
"We have reclassified the case under Section 41(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 for reckless driving and causing death," he said, adding that the case was initially investigated under Section 42(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 for reckless driving.
"Police have so far recorded 15 statements over the case from various parties," said ACP Nik Ros, adding that the suspect will be released later on police bail.
On Sunday (Jan 20) at about 3am, Moey was crossing the bridge to Butterworth from Penang island when a black sedan slammed into his rear left flank at high speed, causing his car to spin and flip over the bridge's parapet.
Police have determined that Moey and the driver of the black sedan were friends who earlier attended another friend's birthday party at a club in Chulia Street in George Town.
Penang Bridge crash: SUV retrieved from waters, body found
Friend of Penang Bridge victim pens heartfelt tribute poem
Penang Bridge crash: Victim’s body still intact after 3 days
A solemn scene after car recovery
Moey family urges public to leave them alone and stop speculating
What you say can ignite a firestorm
Moey family urges public to stop sharing pictures of crash victim on social media