MACC free to probe ministry


  • Nation
  • Friday, 23 Nov 2018

Creative display: Mohamaddin (third from right) visiting an exhibition during the National Craft Institute’s Open Day in conjunction with its 17th convocation ceremony. — Bernama

PETALING JAYA: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) is free to investigate the Tourism, Arts and Culture Ministry over recent allegations of power abuse, said its Minister Datuk Mohamaddin Ketapi.

Amid reports that MACC is probing his ministry after allegations emerged that one of his children was calling the shots in awarding of tenders, the Silam MP maintained that there was “no such thing”.

“They can investigate. We are not afraid. We’ve got nothing to hide, nothing at all,” he said when contacted.

Mohamaddin said it was MACC’s right to probe allegations of power abuse in the government.

But he insisted that the accusations levelled against him were lies to tarnish the name of ministers under Pakatan Harapan.

“Actually there is no such thing (the allegation). I think it was done by irresponsible people to tarnish the name of the ministry and the minister.

“I can assure you that Pakatan ministers are not that dumb to award contracts in such a way.

“Now our policy is open tender and there are no direct awards given to companies,” he said.

Mohamaddin, from Parti Warisan Sabah, a Pakatan ally, insisted that his son was not a staff member under his ministry and has no hand in deciding which contracts to award.

He was referring to allegations that his son allegedly oversaw the award of eight contracts that were not made through open tender.

“How is my son being linked to awarding eight contracts?

“This would mean that he was working under the ministry and was in the tender committee. But he is not.

“It is up to the tender committee to award the projects, the son of a minister doesn’t sit around and decide this,” he said.

He also said his son was not involved in any decision made by the ministry.

“My son never sits in any board nor does he work for the ministry,” he added.

Mohamaddin also claimed that he rarely sees his son in question as the latter usually splits his time between Malaysia and London, where his mother resides.

“Don’t believe the accusations at all. It doesn’t exist and that’s why I said that it is rubbish,” he added.

On Wednesday, Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said he would leave it to MACC to investigate allegations that a minister’s son was involved in the awarding of contracts without going through open tender.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Nation

King, Queen extend wishes for a Happy Father's Day
Association calls on govt to prioritise vaccinations for security guards
Covid-19: 164,282 vaccine jabs given on Saturday (June 19)
80,000 registered so far as MyVac volunteers, says Youth and Sports Minister
Far away but close to their hearts
Missing his daughter on Father’s Day
Orang Asli village chiefs get vaccinated to set an example
Injecting vaccine confidence in Orang Asli communities
Johor royal family members get their shots
M’sia pledges aid to rebuild Gaza Covid-19 testing facility

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers