Maria Chin, two others, acquitted in #KitaLawan rally case


  • Nation
  • Friday, 03 Aug 2018

KUALA LUMPUR: Agriculture and Agro-based Industry Deputy Minister Sim Tze Tzin, Petaling Jaya MP Maria Chin Abdullah, and Bersih secretariat head Mandeep Singh have been acquitted by a magistrate’s court here of the charge of taking part in the #KitaLawan rally three years ago.

Magistrate Maizatul Munirah Abdul Rahman acquitted and discharged Sim, Maria and Mandeep when the case was fixed for mention Friday (Aug 3).

Magistrate Maizatul arrived at this verdict after Deputy Public Prosecutor Noor Elynna Hanim Abd Halim told the court they had considered the letter of representation sent to the Attorney General’s Chambers (AGC) and wished to withdraw the charges.

Sim, 42, Maria, 62, and Mandeep, 32, who is also Communications and Multimedia Ministry special officer, were charged with participating in the street protest against the Goods and Services Tax (GST) and to free Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, among other things, between 3.15pm and 6pm on March 28, 2015.

The charges against them were filed under Section 4(2)(c) of the Peaceful Assembly Act 2012.

The trio were first charged on Sept 8, 2015 but were given a discharge not amounting to an acquittal on Aug 28, last year.

However, on Oct 4 last year, they were charged again and claimed trial.

Meanwhile, the trio's counsel Vince Tan Hoo Seh said the merit of his submission enabled his clients to be acquitted by the court.

Tan said under Section 254 of the Criminal Procedure Code, the court had the power to grant an acquittal against his clients.

Met after the proceeding, Tan said the court had accepted their letter of representation sent to the AGC two months ago and acquitted his clients. He claimed that the case was politically motivated.

Sim, who is also Bayan Baru MP, said they were happy to be acquitted and that the victory was not only for them but for others as well.

“For the past three years, we have had to come to court. It is a waste of people's money. We are very happy that this thing is over,” he said.
Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

Bung says Sabah sidelined in Cabinet line-up
Anwar's promises of good governance out the window with Cabinet line-up, says Muhyiddin
Dr Wee congratulates Anthony Loke on his reappointment as Transport Minister
Four new senators sworn in on Dec 3
No rally taking place on Dec 8, video is from 2018, says IGP
Do not misuse my late son's charity foundation's name, says Permaisuri Johor
GE15: Cabinet posts for BN a trust, not the spoils of war, says Zahid
Early voting begins in Padang Serai and Tioman
King presents five boats to Pekan residents
BN pulls out of the race in favour of Pakatan’s candidate

Others Also Read