Penang floods: Guan Eng seeks help of armed forces

  • Nation
  • Sunday, 05 Nov 2017

GEORGE TOWN: Penang has sought help from the armed forces after typhoon-like winds and rain lashed the state since Saturday (Nov 4), causing widespread floods, landslides and trees to topple. 

In a video posting on his Facebook page Sunday (Nov 5), Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng said he called Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi to seek his help and thanked the Deputy Prime Minister for picking up the call although it was almost 3.30am. 

“He promised to send the armed forces to save Penang,” said a solemn-looking Lim in the video which was posted shortly after he made the call. 

He said the flood waters continue to rise and the winds were still strong. 

“The waters reached 10 to 12 feet high, covering roofs,” he said, adding that there was no power supply at the evacuation centre. 

Lim hoped victims would be patient, saying that the state would try to ensure that help reach them. 

In an earlier posting Sunday, he said that such a disaster has never occurred in Penang before and that 80% of the state was hit by typhoon-like winds and incessant heavy rain. 

He urged Penangites to stay at home for their safety as the wind was very strong and trees have toppled. 

He said Jalan Tun Sardon which links Paya Terubong and Balik Pulau was closed due to a landslide. 

Many people working in the night shift in Bayan Lepas were unable to go home in the wee hours of Sunday after floods in Bayan Baru and Relau cut off links to other parts of the island. 

It was reported that at least 130 people were evacuated on Saturday after floods hit various parts of Penang following incessant rain since noon. 

Besides Jalan Tun Sardon, mini landslides were reported in Minden Heights, Hong Seng Estate and Paya Terubong.  

Strong winds caused trees to topple in some places, including along the Teluk Bahang-Balik Pulau road. 

Teluk Bahang assemblyman Datuk Shah Headen Ayoob Hussain Shah claimed that the flood was the worst that hit Balik Pulau. 

Penang International Airport senior manager Ramzi Ahmad said four flights, which were supposed to land in Penang from 4.55pm on Saturday, were diverted to Langkawi or returned to Kuala Lumpur. 

A Meteorological Department spokesman said the rains were expected to lash the northern states until Sunday.  

The floods that hit Penang this time is possibly worse than the major floods on Sept 15.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Across The Star Online