Boy forced to use urine bag after botched circumcision


Young boys participate in a mass circumcision event amid grand welcome and festivities, which some consider as a celebration of reaching manhood. - AFP

SEGAMAT: Another case of botched circumcision was reported on Jan 5 after a 10-year-old boy had part of his penis severed following a mass circumcision ceremony at a surau in Sg Buloh.

The boy was referred to Hospital Selayang after the bleeding in his penis failed to stop following the Nov 25 procedure which was performed by an assistant medical officer.

After doctors failed to reattach the blackened penis head, he was sent to a private hospital to undergo three more surgeries.

As a result, the boy now has to urinate using a catheter and carries around a urine bag on his body.

On Dec 15, a nine-year-old boy had his glans penis severed in a circumcision at a private clinic in Jalan Ipoh.

He was sent to the Kuala Lumpur Hospital (HKL) to reattach it but it had already turned black, leaving the doctor no choice but to amputate.

Five days later, it was reported that a 10-year-old boy also had the head of his penis severed during a botched laser circumcision at a clinic in Taman Cheras Utama.

The boy was rushed to Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Hospital, which then referred him to HKL and his glans penis was successfully reattached.

Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr S. Subramaniam said parents of botched circumcision victims could take the matter to court to demand compensation.

"Meanwhile, under the ministry's jurisdiction, we can suspend the medical and clinic licences of errant practitioners if they are found guilty of negligence," he said this after a working visit at Pekan Batu Anam here on Saturday.

 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Perhilitan captures five female elephants roaming around Kampung Kuala Tiga
Celebrate Thaipusam at home this year, advises Selangor Sultan
Covid-19: 17 new clusters detected on Wednesday (Jan 27), says Health DG
New documentary set to air on Friday (Jan 29) about 'Assassins' of Kim Jong-nam
Cops arrest man over armed robbery at Bandar Putra Kulai
MCA fully supports the government's Covid vaccination drive
Covid-19: Rumah Sebastian Ngalang Juntan the 58th longhouse placed under movement res
KK City's 21st anniversary to be celebrated online this year
Malaysia, Australia agree to measures to address Covid-19 including vaccination cooperation
Covid-19: Number of patients in intensive care reaches all-time high

Stories You'll Enjoy


-->