PETALING JAYA: Using uncertified accessories can cost you dearly, even your life, warned a mobile phone expert.
Amin Ashaari, co-founder of tech website SoyaCincau.com, said many were unaware of the dangers of using non-certified accessories for their mobile phones.
While the condition of the house's electric circuit or using a multi-plug adapter are reasons that could lead to electrocution, Amin said, the priority is to ensure that the accessories meet the manufacturer's safety standards.
"From the gadget and device perspective, it is generally unsafe to use products that are not (recommended) by your reputable brand.
"People usually buy the cheapest cable (such as a charger) but that could have its effects," he told The Star Online when commenting on the death of a woman who was electrocuted while she was talking on the phone which was charging.
Amin also cautioned that replacing the mobile phone battery with a non-certified one would not protect the phone from overcharging.
"These batteries do not have protective devices that manufacturers install in their products to prevent incidents such as explosion," said Amin.
It was reported that Suhana Mohamad, 30, was electrocuted to death while using her phone at her home in Cheras on Friday night.
Describing the incident as unfortunate, Amin said it was difficult to attribute the mobile phone as being the cause of the electrocution.
"In any normal circumstances, don't use electrical appliances during a thunderstorm, you can use them but just don't plug them into the wall.
"Most importantly, using the right accessories help, otherwise, it could cost you your life," he said.
Did you find this article insightful?