Council won’t tear down seven temples


  • Nation
  • Saturday, 23 Aug 2003

BY A. LETCHUMANAN

PETALING JAYA: The Subang Jaya Muncipal Council has dropped its plans to tear down seven temples in Serdang but those that are unregistered or run by individuals will eventually have to be demolished, said Selangor state executive councillor Datuk K. Sivalingam. 

He said the decision was taken during a meeting between council president Abdul Hakim Borhan and Serdang MIC division leaders on Thursday. 

The council, he said, had agreed to identify suitable areas for the relocation of some of the temples that were earlier planned for demolishment. 

Sivalingam said Serdang MIC had been directed to compile a report on all temples, which would be discussed with the council soon. 

The meeting between the council and Serdang MIC Youth took place following the party’s request to the state to defer the plans to tear down the seven temples. 

On Aug 14, the municipal council decided to demolish the Sri Maha Mariamman Temple in Puchong Jaya, Sri Maha Aathi Amman (Kampung Baru, Se- 

ri Kembangan), Sri Maha Kaliamman (USJ 20) and Sri Samudeswari along the Kesas Highway. 

Three other temples in Puchong were supposed to have been torn down between Aug 21 and Sept 9. 

Sivalingam, who is also Selangor MIC deputy chairman, chided some developers who were irresponsible in allocating unsuitable places to relocate the temples. 

“One developer in Puchong had provided a site in government land reserved for a public utility company.  

“After a few years, the temple would be given another notice to move out. The temple authorities would definitely not agree to move,” he said. 

He said a discussion with the temple authorities and the Serdang MIC would be held to look into the possibility of merging some of the smaller temples with the bigger ones. 

“This would also reduce the number of temples in Serdang,” he said. 

Sivalingam also urged the other local councils to initiate discussion with the respective MIC divisions to resolve the problems instead of resorting to tearing temples down. 

“Such actions will only incur the wrath of the Indian community and result in resentment against Barisan Nasional,” he said. 

Serdang MIC Youth chief T. Mohan said the youths were thankful that the council had decided not to tear down the temples but hoped it would assist in relocating them to alternative sites.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Man aged 77 goes missing in Klang
Man dies in fall from 10th floor of flat in Butterworth
The Star is top English-language M'sian news portal in brand trust scores, says Reuters Institute
KJ hits back at critics of mixed-type vaccination
Sabah announces SOP for Aidiladha
Taxis, e-hailing vehicles can cross districts and states if passengers have approvals
Sabah increases efforts to prevent rabies following outbreak at neighbouring Sarawak district
Investigate allegations of Covid-19 vaccines sold to private groups, says MMA
Puncak Niaga's suit against Khalid Ibrahim will proceed for full trial
Covid-19: 24 new clusters, including 15 workplace outbreaks

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers