Changes planned to allow for training


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 10 Jul 2003

BY GAVIN GOMEZ

KUALA LUMPUR: Entry into public universities, matriculation centres and Lower Six will be adjusted to accommodate the national service programme. 

Education Director-General Datuk Abdul Rafie Mahat said details were still being worked out but selected students would definitely have to undergo the programme, which kicks off next year. 

“The issue of students not being able to attend (national service) because of their studies will not arise. We will make the necessary adjustments,” he said at his office yesterday. 

Abdul Rafie said university terms would have to be adjusted, as those taking part in national service would be staying at public university hostels for two months during the programme. 

Defence Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak had announced last month that 100,000 youths who will turn 18 next year would be randomly selected to undergo the three-month national service stint. 

Intake into the programme is to take place in seven batches of 16,000 students each, beginning February. 

Consisting of two parts – a month-long camping stint and a two-month stay at university hostels – the programme will require participants to undergo basic training in several aspects: military training, understanding the Constitution, character building, and community service.  


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online