Pak Lah: Programmes to remain even after October


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 21 May 2003

PASIR GUDANG: Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, who will succeed Datuk Seri Dr Mahathir Mohamad when the Prime Minister steps down in October, said he will continue with the current policies. 

He said he had all along supported the policies as a member of the Cabinet and his commitment was clear. 

“Even as deputy chairman of the many committees chaired by Dr Mahathir, I had supported these policies,” he said, when asked to comment on remarks by the Prime Minister that he was confident his successor would continue present foreign policies. 

“We will continue with whatever decisions that had been made, including that involving relations with the United States,” he told reporters during a visit to Tanjung Langsat port, near here, yesterday. 

Addressing a gathering at the port, Abdullah said that apart from having world-class facilities, port management should be efficient and effective for the ports to succeed. 

He said the Tanjung Langsat port, which served a high-tech industrial area, could use the advantages of its strategic location and good facilities to lure more foreign investors. 

At a ground-breaking ceremony for the Senai-Desaru highway and the bridge over Sungai Johor, Abdullah urged residents not to sell off their land just to get rich quick. He said they should think of expanding the potential of their land to reap long-term benefits. 

For instance, he said, they could joint venture with companies to start small industries or businesses.  

At another function in Johor Baru, Abdullah said the Government was striving to ensure that everyone enjoyed the benefits of the nation’s progress and development. 

He said while the Government hoped to see the nation attaining progress and success, it did not want the people to feel marginalised.  

There was no discrimination in the implementation of development projects and efforts to provide opportunities and facilities were meant to benefit everyone, he told about 300 people at the Sri Stulang housing project in Bakar Batu. 

The project, developed by state-owned Kumpulan Prasarana Rakyat Johor, involved the construction of about 1,500 low cost flats on a 64ha site, which included a 10ha plot given by the Sultan of Johor.  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site