MBPJ dismantles boom gates and barriers in three PJ neighbourhoods


  • Community
  • Friday, 18 Oct 2013

RESIDENTS in three Petaling Jaya neighbourhoods received a surprise visit from Petaling Jaya City Council (MBPJ) officers yesterday.

The officers came to remove boom gates and other road obstructions in the areas.

The operation, led by MBPJ Engineering Department assistant director Noraini Mohd Din, involved Winchester Ara Damansara, Bandar Utama precinct BU 6 and Damansara Jaya SS22.

The officers used a heavy-duty welding torch to cut a wheeled gate at the intersection of Jalan PJU 1A/43 and Jalan PJU 1A/43E.

Council lorries were used to dispose of the parts.

Winchester Ara Damansara Residents Association (RA) committee member Say Kim Kuan said it was not necessary to remove the wheeled gate.

“I tried to stop them but to no avail,” he said, adding that the residents were happy the gate had been installed and did not mind using another road to enter their neighbourhood.

“The gate has helped to curb crime.

“We have informed councillor Khairul Annuar Ahmad Zainudin, in charge of Ara Damansara, about the latest development,” said Say.

MBPJ enforcement officers handing over a notification slip to Winchester Ara Damansara RA member Say, informing him that he could retrieve the cut-up wheeled gate from the council within a period of 14 days.
Notification for residents: Enforcement officers handing over a notification slip to Say, informing him that he can retrieve the cut-up wheeled gate from the council within 14 days.

Over in Bandar Utama, the council officers used a backhoe to knock down and remove two poles in Jalan BU 6/6 and BU 6/2, which were used to secure counterweight boom gates.

The automatic boom gates at both Winchester Ara Damansara and Bandar Utama were not removed as the state government had given them a one-year grace period before being removed.

In Damansara Jaya, council officers removed empty oil drums used to close off Jalan SS22/2 and Jalan SS22/22.

No untoward incidents occurred during the operation at the three locations.

In a statement, MBPJ public relations director Haniza Abdul Hamid said the decision to remove the obstructions was made by the council’s technical sub-committee on barriers in neighbourhoods.

“The sub-committee made the decision earlier this month, on a case-by-case basis,” said Haniza.

Some of the reasons cited for the operation include obstruction of common property or common pathways, as well as the numerous residents’ complaints to the council.

“We alerted the respective RAs before carrying out the operation,” said Haniza, adding that it was carried out under the Streets, Drainage and Building Act 1974.


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online