Flood caused by a drain closed by developer


THE main cause of the flash floods that hit various parts of Kuala Lumpur last Wednesday was a drain that was closed by a developer.

Kuala Lumpur mayor Tan Sri Ahmad Fuad Ismail said a developer had closed a drain near their 20-storey project during construction work.

The drain near Jalan Brunei and Jalan Pudu led to a bigger one in the area.

“The culprit was a developer and that was irresponsible,” said Fuad.

He said a stop-work order had been served to the developer and they had been told to clean up the drain that was closed.

Attempts to reach the developer for comments were unsuccessful.

On Saturday, motorists and city dwellers encountered a repeat of the recent nightmare of flash floods and heavy traffic along major roads in the city.

The areas flooded on Saturday included Jalan Raja Chulan, Pudu, Jalan Tun Razak and Jalan Sultan Ismail.

Motorists were stuck in massive traffic jams, while others were affected by faulty traffic lights.

Some people tweeted that the basement car park of Sungei Wang Plaza was flooded.

Many could not drive their cars out of the basement and had to wait until the water level receded at about 8pm.

Others tweeted about thunderstorms and heavy rain in the afternoon.

On Tuesday, various parts of the capital were hit by flash floods, trapping thousands of motorists heading home after work.

The floods occurred when a two-hour downpour caused Sungai Bunus to overflow.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers