‘PJ home renovation eats into cul-de-sac’


MBPJ issued a stop-work order on the project and instructed the owner to submit a building plan for the house renovation.

Section 14 folk protest encroachment, MBPJ waits for building plan from owner

RESIDENTS of Section 14 in Petaling Jaya, living near Sungai Penchala, are upset over a house renovation project that they say has encroached onto a cul-de-sac.

Long-time resident Sheikh Moqhtar Kadir said there was no notice board displayed outside the house on their street, which fuelled the neighbours’ frustration as they were unaware of the nature of the work being carried out.

“We are concerned about the integrity of the river reserve, as a wall is being constructed nearby,” he said.

Reports on the matter had been lodged with Petaling Jaya City Council (MBPJ), he added.

Sheikh: Residents are worried about the integrity of the river reserve where a wall is erected.
Sheikh: Residents are worried about the integrity of the river reserve where a wall is erected.

“Residents are in the dark over this project,” he said.

“It is located by the riverbank. From what we understand, the house is being renovated from a single-storey to a three-storey structure.

“The cul-de-sac beside the house has also been closed off due to the renovation work.

“MBPJ visited the site in January. We have been complaining about this issue since September last year.”

He claimed that construction work continued although MBPJ issued a stop-work order to the homeowner following the visit.

When contacted by StarMetro, MBPJ councillor Kusaaliny Mahendran said the city council has received complaints from the residents.

Kusaaliny says MBPJ has instructed the homeowner to submit a building plan of the house for approval.
Kusaaliny says MBPJ has instructed the homeowner to submit a building plan of the house for approval.

“We are aware of the structures being built, and will take action in accordance with MBPJ’s standard operating procedure,” she said.

She disclosed that during a site visit on July 9, MBPJ Building Control Department found a retaining wall built by the homeowner.

The wall was constructed with approval from MBPJ, she added.

“A stop-work order on the home renovation works was issued last year,” said Kusaaliny.

“MBPJ has instructed the homeowner to submit a building plan of the house for approval.

“The owner has agreed to comply and will halt construction until the plans are approved.

“For now, construction has been put on hold,” she added.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Metro News

New village brands urged to form cooperative
Utility firms fined over subpar road resurfacing works
MBIP allocates record RM1mil for green projects
MBDK planning collaboration with NGO to neuter strays
Campaign’s top prizes cushion against rising cost of living
Racing towards zero-carbon state
Klang heritage building to be manually dismantled, rebuilt at new site
Riders divided over colourful bike lane
Satay business leverages Selangor’s digital platform
JB neighbourhoods face gridlock, indiscriminate parking

Others Also Read