WITH construction and demolition waste recording an increase and space running out, Penang is drawing up guidelines to welcome private sectors in helping to manage them.
One of the sites is the Seberang Prai City Council’s (MBSP) Solid Waste Transfer Station in Ampang Jajar, Butterworth, which sits on a 24ha piece of land.
Penang local government, housing, town and country planning committee chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo said as waste management took up a big portion of both city councils’ annual budget, the effort required assistance.
“Every year, waste management takes up a big chunk of almost half of each council’s budget.
“We need to cooperate with private sectors to assist in the effort.
“We are in a transitional period of looking at moving from traditional dumpsites to new areas.
“When we do not have adequate areas to dispose of the waste, it will lead to illegal dumping, ” he told reporters after launching a workshop on preparing guidelines for solid and construction waste processing sites at Ixora Hotel in Prai, near Butterworth on Friday.
Jagdeep said existing dumpsites such as in Pulau Burung, Nibong Tebal and the Jelutong landfill were reaching their capacity.
“In Pulau Burung, we are trying to get one cell to move, in which we have received the Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) report and are currently handling the Social Impact Assessment (SIA), such as residential and school relocation.
“Only one out of four sections in the Jelutong landfill is still in operation to receive construction and demolition waste.
“Modern methods will help cut down on space requirement and minimise footprint, ” he said.
MBSP mayor Datuk Rozali Mohamud said while waste generated on the mainland continued to record an increase over the years, domestic waste was reducing and overtaken by industrial waste.
“In 2012, we received 453,033 tonnes of waste, of which 46.42% were industrial and 53.48% domestic.
“Last year, we received 598,234 tonnes of waste, of which 58.92% were industrial and 41.08% domestic, ” he said.
The full-day workshop, which was organised by MBSP, was to enable councillors and department heads from MBSP and Penang Island City Council (MBPP) to finalise guidelines for managing construction waste to enable private sectors to step in.
Rozali said the council would request proposals from interested companies to make their offers.
“We will be calling for proposals from private companies soon to take over the waste transfer station in Ampang Jajar.
“They will bring in the latest technology and if they can manage the waste accordingly, we would then save from sending them to Pulau Burung, ” he added.
Penang welfare, caring society and environment committee chairman Phee Boon Poh, who was present, said the new guidelines would open up the green economy.
“It will lead to a better environment and people can benefit from waste.
“The guidelines will be inclusive of views from all, ” he said.
Also present was MBPP mayor Datuk Yew Tung Seang, who revealed that MBPP received 235 tonnes of construction and demolition waste on a daily basis.
“Construction waste makes up almost 20% of the waste we collect due to many developments.
“Last year, on average daily, we received 1,208 tonnes of waste, of which 973 tonnes of them were domestic, ” he said.