THE Sidhu Brar family has to vacate the 97-year-old bungalow they live in Rawang before Sept 20 as instructed by the Shah Alam High Court.
The Selangor Land and Mines Department in a letter by its deputy director Syafianza Azwan Shaiful Bahri dated July 26 stated that the family’s appeal to stay on had been rejected.
She said the department made the decision after checking on all the documents that were presented to them by the applicant Maljindar Singh Sidhu Brar on behalf of the family.
She also stated that the house had to be vacated as instructed by the court before Sept 20, 2017.
Maljinder, in a press conference on Thursday said although their application to obtain the lease to the bungalow land was rejected, they would not give up hope.
He was still hopeful to meet Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Azmin Ali to intervene at least to save the bungalow from being demolished and declare it a heritage building.
“This bungalow, which was formerly a mining company’s office, was one of the first residential homes to receive electricity in Malaysia,” he said, adding that the family had lived there since 1960.
The Sino-Malay-Palladin building and several other houses, were originally built in 1920 by Berjuntai Tin Dredging Bhd, which was given the mining lease for the area.
In 1959, the company sold the property to Pologa Nathan, an employee, who subsequently sold it to Maljindar’s great-grandmother Gurtha Kaur.
According to Maljindar, the family first applied to alienate the land with the Kuala Kubu Baru Land Office in 1967 but did not receive any reply.
In 1989, through a Deed of Assignment, Gurtha transferred her interests in the property to Maljindar’s father, the late Mahindar Singh.
However, the mining lease for the land had already been granted to Associated Pan Malaysia Cement Sdn Bhd (APMC) and Lafarge Malayan Cement Bhd.
In 2007, Mahindar and 14 others filed a suit against APMC and Lafarge after they were asked to vacate the premises.
Last year, the Shah Alam High Court held that the family was only a licensee when they settled on the land, a decision upheld by the Court of Appeal.
Also at the press conference were residents from a few neighbourhoods near the bungalow at Jalan Kuala Garing who expressed fear when the quarry activity starts.
“We are fighting not just for ourselves but the entire community in Rawang.
“This bungalow stands in between the mining activity and residential areas like Taman Garing, Taman Desa Garing, Taman Kuala Garing and others in the area.
“It is only a matter of time before the mining activities spread throughout the area once this bungalow lot is taken away,” said Maljindar, noting that there are four schools situated near the bungalow.