Deepened canals among flood mitigation efforts


  • Community
  • Monday, 23 Nov 2015

A couple wading through knee-deep flood water while carrying their daughter at Kampung Sungai Rambai near Teluk Intan. — filepic

VARIOUS efforts have been taken by the Perak government to overcome the frequent flooding in rural areas surrounding Changkat Jong and Teluk Intan.

State Public Utilities, Infrastructure, Energy and Water Committee chairman Datuk Zainol Fadzi Paharudin (BN-Sungai Manik) said the Drainage and Irrigation Department (DID) using allocations from the state government had upgraded a 4km-long bund and deepened canals a total length of 20km along Sungai Bidor.

“The DID will also continue to carry out a detailed study on how to stabilise its banks and give priority for management works to be carried out under the 11th Malaysia Plan (11MP),” he said in reply to an oral question by Datuk Mohd Azhar Jamaluddin (BN-Changkat Jong) during the Perak State Assembly sitting.

During the question and answer session, Mohd Azhar had asked what efforts had been taken to overcome flooding in the areas.

To a supplementary question by Mohd Azhar on how effective was the deepening of canals in preventing floods, Zainol Fadzi said the move was only a temporary measure.

“We are still finding the best way to resolve this problem,” he added.

On whether the state government intended to create a retention pond to counter flashfloods there, Zainol Fadzi said any plans to do so would depend on the study undertaken.

“Right now, the state government has directed the relevant technical departments to immediately direct excess water to the sea,” he said.

Earlier, state Women Development, Family, Community Welfare, Housing and Local Government Committee chairman Datuk Rusnah Kassim (BN-Behrang) said the plan to relocate 112 squatter families in Jelapang to a low cost housing project had been delayed since 2010 as the developer appointed by the state to build the project had tried to raise its prices.

“It was initially agreed that the developer, Forward Lane Sdn Bhd, would build 60 units of 20ft by 60ft terrace houses for RM48,000 each and 52 units of 20ft by 77.5ft terraced houses for RM73,000 each.

“However, it wanted to raise the selling prices to RM83,000 and RM103,000, respectively,” she said, adding that the developer’s contract under the 2010 Perak Zero Squatters Programme has since been terminated.

The project, Rusnah added, had been absorbed into the Program Perumahan Rakyat (PPR) and presented to the Economy Planning Unit in the Prime Minister’s Department to be included into the 11MP.

“The state government is currently awaiting a positive response for allocations from the federal government by early next year,” she said.

On what steps had the state government taken to ensure the project’s completion, she said it had on Jan 30, 2013, approved the sale of the units through a rent and purchase scheme with the land titles to be issued under the name of the State Secretary Incorporated (SSI).

“On Aug 15, a meeting was held with the project’s participants, all of whom have agreed to the state’s decision,” she said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Government , Perak , Flooding

   

Across the site