1. Projek Seni Kami is showcasing the artworks made by orang asli children to raise funds towards conducting monthly creative workshops for orang asli, shelters and underprivileged youths. The event will include an exhibition of the children’s previous works, shadow puppet show, live drawing and performances by musicians and poets. It will be held at Kedai Sebalah, 1, Jalan SS 6/20A, PJS 8, Petaling Jaya, from 11am to 5pm this Sunday. For details, call 012-232 1931 (Prethiba).
2. To create awareness on mental illnesses, Traders Hotel is having a cake sale featuring a range of baked goods such as cakes, cookies, cupcakes and macarons in shades of grey and blue. The sale is on today from 10am to 6pm at “On The Go”, located at the hotel’s Ground Floor. All proceeds will go to Malaysian Mental Health Association. For details, visit www.tradershotels.com
3. KL’s bimonthly poetry open mic, If Walls Could Talk, returns with its eighth instalment, featuring poet Illya Sumanto, singer-songwriter Hameer Zawawi and 10 open mic poetry performers. The show is on Sept 24, from 8.30pm to 11pm at Gaslight Cafe & Music, 15-2, Jalan Medan Setia 1, Plaza Damansara, Bukit Damansara, Kuala Lumpur. (located above Neroteca). Admission is RM10. For details, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 03-2011-4047
4. The famous Thang Long Water Puppet Theatre troupe from Hanoi, Vietnam, is putting on a show for the first time in Malaysia. Paired with a traditional Vietnamese orchestra, the water puppet show depicts the daily activities in Vietnamese rural life as well as important historical events and ancient legends. There will be two shows today – at 3pm and 8.30pm – at KuAsh Theatre, 48, Jalan Tun Mohd Fuad, Taman Tun Dr Ismail, Kuala Lumpur. Tickets are available online or at the door two hours before the performance. For details and tickets, visit www.diversecity.my
5. One Mic Stand, the longest-running weekly stand-up comedy open mic is back with Episode 157 showcasing open-mic comedy at its most raw and truest form. The show is on Sept 22, at 9pm at PJLA Cabaret, Jaya One, Jalan Universiti, Petaling Jaya. Tickets are RM15.90 or RM10 with a student card. For details, email to email@example.com or call 03-7960 0439.
6. Malaysian comics Papi Zak, Kavin Jay and Rizal van Geyzel are performing alongside local and international acts at the KL International Comedy Festival. Their show, Made in Malaysia, is today at White Box, Publika Shopping Gallery, at 8.30pm. For tickets, visit www.klinternationalcomedyfestival.com. As part of the festival, there is also a Comedy Workshop for Kids conducted by theatre practitioner Ros Boyer. Located at White Box, Publika Shopping Gallery, the workshop is for children aged six to eight years old (from 10.30am to 11.30am) as well as for children aged between nine and 12 (from 11.45am to 1.15pm). For details and registration, email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 019-243 2898.
7. The fourth edition of the Distinguished Gentleman Ride returns on Sept 27 globally. The ride in Malaysia will happen simultaneously in four cities – Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Kuching and Miri. Riders will start gathering as early as 7am at the RMAF in Sungai Besi and the convoy will begin at 9am. First stop will be The Garage KL Ampang followed by Istana Negara and Jalan Duta. The ride is scheduled to finish at Pavilion Kuala Lumpur around noon. For details and registration, email to email@example.com
8. The Malaysian Institute of Translation and Books and the Malaysian Craft Complex are showcasing Wayang Kulit Kelantan using the principles of light and shadow using wayang kulit dolls, as well as Japanese dolls Edo Ito Ayatsuri Ningyo. The show is at Panggung Sari, Kompleks Kraf Kuala Lumpur from today to Sept 22 at 8.30pm. For details, visit www.itbm.com.my or call 03-4145 1800.
9. Award-winning legend in animated film design Hans Bacher is showcasing some of his masterpieces including well-loved classical pieces such as Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Lilo & Stitch, Mulan and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. The event, titled Dream Worlds: The Art of Animation Exhibition by Hans Bacher is on at The One Gallery until Oct 13. Admission is free. For details, call 03-5637 5510 (ext 348, Liew Sio Yean), email to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.toa.edu.my/gallery. Gallery is open from 10am to 5.30pm on weekdays and 10am to 1pm on Saturday. It is closed on Sundays and public holidays.
10. Law professor from the University of Adelaide Prof Melissa de Zwart will critically discuss the topic of whistleblowing. Focusing on the importance, role and relationship between whistleblowers and outsiders as well as the Edward Snowden case, the lecture will be on Sept 23, from 5.30pm to 7pm at JC3, Level 1, Sunway University. Admission is free. For registration, visit http://sunway.edu.my/university/jcdss/register or call 03-7491 8622 (ext 7508).
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!