ADVERTISEMENT

Residents continue to burn rubbish every night despite haze


Open burning has been taking place in Pusat Bandar Puchong over the last three months at Jalan Wawasan 5/3.

Open burning has been taking place in Pusat Bandar Puchong over the last three months at Jalan Wawasan 5/3.

DESPITE the haze reaching alarming levels in the Klang Valley, some individuals have been polluting the air by carrying out open burning in Puchong.

The burnt rubbish found behind flats along Jalan Wawasan 5/3, Pusat Bandar Puchong, is made up of old furniture, glass, plastic bottles, aluminium cans and domestic waste.

Semarak Apartments resident Sam Kin Kit, 32, filed a complaint with Subang Jaya Municipal Council on Sept 13 as the open burning had been going on for three months. “We are not sure who is responsible for the open burning. Despite the haze, they have been burning almost every evening for the past week at about 7pm or 8pm.

“When I am going to work early in the morning, I can smell the smoke,” he said.

During a site visit on Sept 16, Kinrara assemblyman Ng Sze Han said carrying out open burning more so during the current hazy conditions was unacceptable.

1 Open burning has been taking place in Pusat Bandar Puchong over the past three months at Jalan Wawasan 5/3. 2 (From left) MPSJ councillor Yap Kok Weng, Chin and Ng during the site visit to the hotspot.
(From left) MPSJ councillor Yap Kok Weng, Chin and Ng during the site visit to the hotspot.

“MPSJ should issue the culprits a warning, failing which, a compound should be issued. “If the apartment has problems with rubbish collection, they should contact MPSJ and not resort to burning the rubbish,” said Ng.

MPSJ councillor Chin Sou Bong said MPSJ would issue a notice to the flat’s management to have the burnt debris cleared from the area within three days.

“It is the duty of the management to engage their own MPSJ-registered waste collection contractors,” he said.

   

ADVERTISEMENT