US cancels India trade talks scheduled for August


— AFP

New Delhi: A planned visit by US trade negotiators to New Delhi from Aug 25 to 29 has been cancelled, delaying talks on a proposed bilateral trade agreement, Indian business and financial news network NDTV Profit says, citing people familiar with the matter.

The current round of negotiations for the proposed bilateral trade agreement is now likely to be deferred to another date, the report last Saturday said, dashing hopes of some relief before the Aug 27 deadline for the additional tariff on Indian goods kicks in.

Earlier this month, US president Donald Trump imposed an additional 25% tariff on Indian goods, citing New Delhi’s continued imports of Russian oil in a move that sharply escalated tensions between the two nations.

The new import tax, which will come into effect from Aug 27, will raise duties on some Indian exports to as high as 50% – among the highest levied on any US trading partner.

Trade talks between New Delhi and Washington collapsed after five rounds of negotiations over disagreement on opening India’s vast farm and dairy sectors and stopping Russian oil purchases. — Reuters

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Trump , India , tariffs , negotiations

Next In Business News

The parcel overhang
Zero abandoned homes�by�2030?
Unmasking housing market pricing abuses
Ringgit likely to trade cautiously next week ahead of key US data
Powering a new reinvestment cycle as demand surges
Up in Arms - or up the value chain?
Asia bonds for diversification
AI disruption fears rock markets
Private equity hits a sixer
Dubai luxe property keeps booming

Others Also Read