TPG Angelo Gordon among new bidders in auction for Citgo assets


- Bloomberg

New York: Investment fund TPG Angelo Gordon is among the new bidders for Citgo Petroleum Corp’s parent company as part of a court-supervised auction designed to compensate creditors of Venezuela whose assets were seized, according to people familiar with the matter.

New York-based TPG Angelo Gordon has launched a so-called “topping bid” for the shares of Citgo’s US-based parent PVD Holding, according to the people, who asked not to be identified because they weren’t authorised to speak publicly about the bid.

TPG Angelo Gordon declined to comment last Friday. TPG agreed to acquire Angelo Gordon in May 2023 in a cash-and-stock deal valued at US$2.7bil. The bid is aimed at bettering a US$3.7bil offer by Red Tree Investments LLC for control of the refiner, which is Venezuela’s largest foreign asset.

Seeking more offers

Red Tree’s offer came after US Judge Leonard Stark in Wilmington, Delaware, shot down an earlier US$5.3bil lead bid by an affiliate of Elliott Investment Management because of flaws with the proposal.

Robert Pincus – a lawyer tapped by Stark to oversee the auction – said in court filings he supported pushing back the deadline for topping offers like TPG Angelo Gordon’s by 21 days in hopes it will lead to a “more robust bidding process”.

Stark granted the extension last Friday. Stark and Pincus are aiming to generate more money from the nearly year-long auction in hopes of satisfying more creditors’ claims against Venezuela over the seizures initiated by late strongman Hugo Chavez.

Collectively the creditors are owed more than US$20bil by the Venezuelan government and its state-owned oil company, Petroleos de Venezuela SA, or PDVSA, which controls Citgo.

Those creditors include Crystallex International Corp, Exxon Mobil Corp, ConocoPhillips Co and Siemens AG.

Lost assets

The companies lost gold and oil assets in the seizures and obtained international arbitration awards against the country.

Investment manager Oaktree Capital Management LP is providing financing for multiple bidders, according to a person familiar with the matter who is not authorised to speak publicly.

Oaktree’s involvement hasn’t been previously reported.

The firm has more than US$200bil in assets under management and has experience in distressed debt and special situations.

“The court wants the best offer, even if that bidder is late to the game,” said Jason Keene, a strategist at Barclays who follows the auction process.

Bidders are interested in the refineries Citgo runs in the United States as well as its pipelines, terminals and fuel-distribution channels.

The battle goes back to the fallout from Chávez’s decision to nationalise different industries as part of his socialist agenda.

Chávez died in 2013 and was succeeded by Nicolás Maduro.

In 2019, the US government gave the reins of the refinery to the opposition-led National Assembly, then presided by Juan Guaido, whom the United States and other governments formerly recognised as the country’s legitimate leader as opposed to Maduro.

A Florida congresswoman has asked US Secretary of State Marco Rubio to halt the Citgo auction to preserve the political opposition’s control of the asset.

Maria Elvira Salazar, a Republican who represents part of Miami, asked Rubio to stop any sale.

“Citgo needs to remain in hands of the opposition in order to be able to reconstruct Venezuela after the regime falls,” she wrote in a May 29 letter to Rubio. — Bloomberg

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
TPG Angelo Gordon , Citgo Petroleum , bid

Next In Business News

Hektar REIT proposes RM125mil deal to acquire, lease international school
Zetrix AI, Shenzhen data exchange plan to develop Asean-China data trading platform
LSH reports stronger 1HFY26 results on robust construction activity
SCIB completes RM113mil disposal to focus on construction, EPCC business
Taliworks posts lower 1Q profit, declares 0.25 sen dividend
Ann Joo Resources to sell steel unit to Green Esteel after terminating Southern Steel deal
Favelle Favco secures RM90.6mil tower crane supply contracts
Berjaya Food expects stronger performance as cost-saving measures narrow 3Q losses
Able Group’s 1Q net profit jumps 37% on stronger F&B, Mexico JV contributions
Paramount cautiously optimistic on stronger property sales in 2H26 amid upcoming launches

Others Also Read