Rio Tinto scraps plan to raise US$5bil in share sale


Rio Tinto logo is seen displayed in this illustration taken April 10, 2023. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration

SYDNEY: Rio Tinto Group has scrapped plans to raise as much as US$5bil in a share sale following pushback from investors, people with knowledge of the matter say.

Executives at the mining giant had floated the possibility of an equity offering in recent investor meetings after announcing its results, the people said, asking not to be identified because the information is private.

The fundraising could have been used to help pay for its US$6.7bil takeover of Arcadium Lithium Plc as well as rebalance its shareholding between British and Australian investors.

Chief executive officer Jakob Stausholm said last month that raising money to rebalance the company’s share register was a possibility, but that no decision had been made.

Rio decided to shelve the idea after getting significant pushback from investors in recent meetings, especially as the company didn’t think the offering was a financial necessity, the people said.

A representative for Rio declined to comment.

The miner completed its Arcadium takeover last week, and said it was funding the acquisition by drawing on an existing bridge loan facility, which it plans to replace with long-term debt financing.

Goldman Sachs Group Inc and JPMorgan Chase & Co advised Rio on the acquisition.

As well as helping to pay for the Arcadium transaction, the raise would have also added more liquidity among its Australian holders.

Its share register is much more weighted to London, with about three-quarters of its stock there.

Shares of Rio have gained 1.7% in London trading this year, giving the company a market value of about £81bil or about US$105bil. — Bloomberg

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Rio Tinto , mining , fundraising

Next In Business News

Ringgit closes higher against greenback on cautious market sentiment
T7 Global subsidiary appointed panel contractor for PETRONAS
YTL inks RM200mil naming rights deal with Aviva for Bristol arena
KL High Court dismisses appeals of former Jalatama officers
Well Chip posts FY25 net profit jump to RM86.15mil
Angkasa targets 2026 revenue to reach up to RM75bil
Aeon Credit issues RM100mil five-year senior sukuk
Late bargain-hunting lifts Bursa Malaysia to end higher
Net foreign inflows into Malaysian bonds reach RM951.9mil in January - RAM Ratings
Wawasan Dengkil's 2Q net profit falls due to revision of project costs

Others Also Read