Sheraton-owner Starwood accepts higher offer from Marriott


A Marriott flag hangs at the entrance of the New York Marriott Downtown hotel in Manhattan, New York in this November 16, 2015 file photo. China's Anbang Insurance Group Co has challenged Marriott International Inc's merger with U.S. hotel operator Starwood with a $12.8 billion cash offer, burnishing its credentials as one of China's top corporate acquirers. REUTERS/Andrew Kelly/Files

BENGALURU: Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide Inc on Monday agreed to a higher US$13.6bil (RM55.2bil) offer from Marriott International Inc, a proposal that trumped a bid by China’s Anbang Insurance Group Co.

Starwood, the owner of the Sheraton and Westin hotel brands, said Anbang’s proposal no longer constituted a “superior proposal” and under the revised merger agreement it was not allowed to engage in discussions with Anbang.

Marriott’s new stock-and-cash offer is worth US$79.53 per share.

A group led by Anbang had challenged Marriott with an initial non-binding offer of US$12.8bil (RM52.0bil) on March 14, revising it later to US$13.16bil (RM53.4bil), or US$78 per share in cash.

A deal with Anbang would have likely faced a review by the US Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, an interagency panel that reviews deals to ensure they do not harm national security.

The Marriott-Starwood combination will create the world’s largest hotel chain with top brands including Sheraton, Ritz Carlton and the Autograph Collection. Marriott in November offered US$12.2bil (RM49.5bil), or US$72.08 per, for Starwood.

The combined company will have over 5,500 hotels with 1.1 million rooms worldwide, giving Marriott a greater presence in markets such as Europe, 

Latin America and Asia and allow it to better compete with apartment-sharing startups such as Airbnb.

Marriott has cleared pre-merger antitrust review in the United States and Canada. Approvals from the EU and China are pending.

Starwood shareholders will receive US$21.00 in cash and 0.80 shares of Marriott Class A common stock for each share held, Marriott said on Monday.

Starwood shares were up 3% at US$82.72 before the opening bell on Monday. Marriott was down 1% at US$72.25.

Under the revised agreement, Starwood will pay a breakup fee of US$450mil, up from US$400mil previously.

Starwood chairman Bruce Duncan said the company was pleased that Marriott has “recognised the value” that Starwood brings to this merger.

Anbang was not immediately available for comment. - Reuters

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Business News

The parcel overhang
Zero abandoned homes�by�2030?
Unmasking housing market pricing abuses
Ringgit likely to trade cautiously next week ahead of key US data
Powering a new reinvestment cycle as demand surges
Up in Arms - or up the value chain?
Asia bonds for diversification
AI disruption fears rock markets
Private equity hits a sixer
Dubai luxe property keeps booming

Others Also Read