Shots fired after incursion from North


THE country’s Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said warning shots had been fired when North Korean soldiers violated the military demarcation line between the countries, prompting them to return.

The Yonhap news agency reported earlier on Sunday that warning shots had been fired last week, citing an unnamed source.

“Recently, on the Eastern Front, North Korean forces crossed the military demarcation line, prompting our military to fire warning shots according to operational procedures,” a JCS statement said on Sunday without ­giving the date of the incident.

“Our military is closely monitoring North Korean movements while maintaining a firm military readiness posture.”

Yonhap said the incident was the first reported violation of the military demarcation line by North Korea this year and that the soldiers were likely to have been patrolling the area when they crossed the MDL.

North Korean troops violated the line 17 times last year, Yonhap said.

The two Koreas are technically at war after their 1950-53 war ended in an armistice rather than a peace treaty. — Reuters

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

15 devotees killed in hotel blaze, stampede
‘No PM visit to India until Hasina extradited’
New govt measure targets uneven boy-girl birth ratio
‘Gun crackdown misses the mark’
Left shaken on country’s 81st birthday
Rohingyas face further delays with repatriation
Flight returns to Munich after issue with takeoff
Junta chief visits Russia
Malaysia settled for a point against France in Hockey World Cup
Iran says that the 60-day deadline 'lost its relevance' after US violation of memorandum

Others Also Read