China vows to 'severely' punish those responsible for deadly mine blast that has killed at least 90 people


In this photo released by Xinhua News Agency, rescue workers prepare to descend into a coal mine in the aftermath of an explosion at Changzhi city's Liushenyu coal mine in Qinyuan county, northern China's Shanxi Province on Saturday, May 23, 2026. -- Cao Yang/Xinhua via AP

BEIJING (AFP/AP): China's government has launched an "uncompromising" investigation into a coal mine explosion that killed at least 90 people, vowing to punish those found responsible, state media reported on Saturday.

"In response to the gas explosion accident at the Liushenyu coal mine owned by Shanxi Tongzhou Group, the State Council's accident investigation team will conduct a rigorous and uncompromising investigation," state news agency Xinhua said.

"Those found responsible will be severely punished in accordance with laws and regulations," it added.

AP reported that A gas explosion at a coal mine in China's northern Shanxi province killed at least 90 people, state media said on Saturday, in the country's deadliest mining accident in recent years.

Official news agency Xinhua said the accident at Changzhi city's Liushenyu coal mine happened on Friday evening. Around 247 workers were on duty at the time.

Nine miners were still unaccounted for as of Saturday afternoon, Xinhua said, and more than 120 people were hospitalized.

The cause of the explosion was under investigation, Xinhua reported, and rescue work is pressing on with hundreds of rescuers and medical personnel sent to the site. Among the injured, many were hurt by toxic gas, according to state media CCTV.

Chinese President Xi Jinping has called for an all-out effort to rescue the missing, reported Xinhua.

Xi also called for the "proper handling of the aftermath of the accident and urged a thorough investigation into its cause, with accountability pursued in accordance with the law," the news agency said.

Xinhua later reported that the "persons responsible for the company involved in the mine accident have been placed under control," citing the local emergency management bureau.

The coal mine, operated by the Shanxi Tongzhou Coal & Coke Group with an annual production capacity of 1.2 million tons, was placed on a national list of disaster-prone coal mines by China's National Mine Safety Administration in 2024 for having "high gas content."

Shanxi province is known as China's main coal mining province. With a size larger than Greece and a population of around 34 million, the province's hundreds of thousands of miners dug 1.3 billion tons of coal last year, or almost a third of China's total.

In February 2023, 53 people were killed after a collapse at an open-pit mine in northern China's Inner Mongolia region. In November 2009, an explosion at a mine in northeastern China's Heilongjiang province killed 108, according to state media. -- AP/AFP

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

SpaceX’s whopping US$75 billion IPO sparks liquidity fears as Fed rate-increase odds rise
The monsoon season, rains, economic prosperity for millions of Mekong farmers, and blessings for crop cultivation
Laos halts fossil fuel vehicle imports and sets price controls for electric cars
Can PLA training catch up with China’s rapid weapon development?
China’s Xi Jinping expected to visit North Korea as early as next week
Hong Kong helpers cry out as popular garden in Central to close for underpass work
China beauty influencer returns after three-year hiatus, gaining 10 million followers in a day
Record number of 347,000 train tickets on sale for holiday period
Trump says Iran talks are nearing an end but warns of more strikes
Bipartisan committee can help expedite MA63 issues, 40% revenue rights, says Bangkuai

Others Also Read