Close shave: Laser hair removal device sparks Australia airport evacuation


Ilustrative photo of a laser hair removal device.

SYDNEY: A bomb disposal unit was called to an Australian airport on Thursday (May 21) -- only to find the suspicious object was a laser hair removal device.

Avalon airport in Victoria state was partially evacuated in the early hours after the item was detected during a security screening.

"The Bomb Response Unit conducted checks on an item, and it was determined to be a laser hair removal device," Victoria police told AFP in a statement.

Acting Inspector Nick Uebergang said that the suspicious device -- the laser hair removal tool -- along with a hot chocolate container, was kept on a conveyor belt while police were called.

"The person who had the bag wasn't too cooperative with us to start off with too, which made things a little bit difficult," he said.

The incident forced the delay or cancellation of a number of flights.

The man was not charged and the airport reopened later in the day.

In a statement, the airport confirmed "the item is no longer deemed a risk".

"Today's response demonstrates the vigilance of the screening and security processes, with precautionary measures taken immediately to ensure the safety of passengers, staff and the broader community," a spokesperson said. - AFP

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Australia , airport , laser hair , removal , device , Avalon

Next In Aseanplus News

Tourism boom in Nga Trang brings revenue but also problems to Vietnam
Philippines says ICC warrant is enforceable and Senator dela Rosa faces arrest
Three scam syndicates busted in Puchong raids, 29 foreign nationals arrested
Arif-Roy King overcome teammates to reach last eight
Prisons Dept grants 795 inmates conditional release ahead of festive season
ASP's death fall was an accident, says S'gor police chief
59 reports lodged against Tony Pua so far, says Selangor police chief
Meet Ayaan, first orang utan conceived by artificial insemination, delivered via C-section in Singapore
Thai Princess Bajrakitiyabha's condition worsens after multiple infections, royal palace says
Sara Duterte’s impeachment trial may start on July 6: Erwin Tulfo

Others Also Read