Seoul cites differing circumstances of ships, countries after Japan-linked vessel transit Strait of Hormuz


A map showing the Strait of Hormuz, also known as Madiq Hurmuz, is seen in this illustration taken March 26, 2026. -- REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

SEOUL (Bernama-Yonhap): The South Korean foreign ministry said Sunday that the ships stranded in the Strait of Hormuz and their associated countries face differing circumstances, after two Japan-linked vessels passed through the vital waterway effectively blocked by Iran, Yonhap News Agency reported.

The ministry's comments came after two Japan-related gas tankers transited through the shipping lane, where 26 South Korean vessels with 173 sailors on board remain stranded since the US-Israeli attacks on Iran in late February.

Iran has said ships can pass through the maritime corridor through bilateral consultations with Tehran, while appearing to push to impose tolls on vessels using the crucial waterway as leverage over global energy supplies.

Several ships linked with China, Thailand and France have also passed through the Strait of Hormuz.

"Ships transiting the Strait of Hormuz vary widely in terms of nationality, ownership, operators, cargo, destinations and crew, leading to differing circumstances for each vessel and the countries involved," the ministry said in a message to the media.

"We prioritise the safety of vessels and their crew members as we take into account the positions of shipping companies," it said.

The ministry said it is working with relevant countries to ensure freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz and safety for all vessels, including Korean ships, are promptly restored in line with relevant international norms.

Diplomatic sources said earlier that Seoul is not considering talks to secure the withdrawal of vessels from the Strait of Hormuz at this stage, given the risk of attacks on ships and the circumstances of shipping companies opting to remain in the area.

South Korea has taken part in discussions led by major countries, excluding the United States, to explore ways to coordinate responses to the Strait of Hormuz situation amid deepening disruptions to energy supplies.

-- BERNAMA-YONHAP

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Palestine’s Cabinet warns of deteriorating humanitarian situation in Gaza
China joins global sell-off of US Treasuries in March as Iran war prompts panic
Anwar takes over Pandan as adopted constituency
Kazakhstan to deepen financial services cooperation with Hong Kong, consul says
Supporters gather in KLIA to welcome Global Sumud Flotilla activists’ return
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Sunday (May 24, 2026)
Will US defence strategy architect Colby pave the way for Hegseth’s China visit?
Woman sleeping in car arrested after drugs, vapes found in vehicle parked in Singapore's Sin Ming
Thai PM Anutin reaffirms Thai-Cambodian border crossings remain closed
Seven trapped in Laos cave after heavy rain triggers flash floods

Others Also Read