Cambodia detains 20 foreigners in overnight raid on Phnom Penh scam centre


The latest Phnom Penh raid, carried out on the night of April 1, saw 20 foreigners taken into custody. - SSTC via PPP/ANN

PHNOM PENH: A joint force operation conducted overnight in the capital’s Sen Sok district led to the arrest of 20 foreign suspects, including two women, in connection with an alleged online scam operation, said the Secretariat of the Commission for Combating Online Scams (CCOS).

The suspects, comprising 19 Chinese and one Kyrgyz national, were detained during a raid on a suspected cyber fraud site located in Sleng Roleng village, Ou Bek Ka’am commune, on the night of April 1.

During the operation, authorities seized a large quantity of equipment believed to be used in the scam activities, including 846 mobile phones, 51 CPU units, 54 monitors and several international SIM cards. Additional computers were discovered in a nearby storage facility.

“Preliminary forensic analysis of the seized electronic devices indicated that the suspects had been using Cambodia as a base to conduct online fraud schemes, primarily targeting victims in Germany, the US and across Europe, through fraudulent investment solicitations,” said the secretariat.

The suspects and evidence have been transferred to the Phnom Penh Municipal Police for further questioning and legal proceedings.

Prime Minister Hun Manet has reiterated the government’s firm commitment to eliminating online scam operations in Cambodia by Khmer New Year, stressing that the country will no longer serve as a safe haven for cybercriminals.

He warned that individuals or entities involved in such activities will face the full extent of the law, without leniency. - The Phnom Penh Post/ANN

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Others Also Read