Katseye’s Manon takes break from girl group to focus on health


Swiss singer Manon Bannerman is taking a break from K-pop girl group Katseye for her 'health and wellbeing'. -- PHOTO: SCREENGRAB FROM MERETMANON/INSTAGRAM

SINGAPORE (The Straits Times/ANN): Swiss singer Manon Bannerman is taking a hiatus from Katseye to focus on her health and well-being, the global girl group announced on Feb 20.

The decision was made following “open and thoughtful conversations together”, the Los Angeles-based sextet said in a statement shared by their labels, HYBE and Geffen Records, on global fan platform Weverse.

“We fully support this decision. Katseye remain committed to showing up for one another and for the fans who mean everything to us,” they said. “The group will continue scheduled activities during this time and we look forward to being together again when the time is right.”

Bannerman, 23, said she was “healthy” and “taking care of myself” in a direct message on Weverse to reassure fans.

“Sometimes things unfold in ways we don’t fully control, but I’m trusting the bigger picture,” she wrote. “Thank you for standing by me. I love you endlessly and can’t wait to see you again.”

The messages did not mention when Bannerman will return.

The announcement comes weeks after Katseye performed on Feb 1 at the Grammy Awards in Los Angeles, where they were nominated for best new artist and best pop duo/group performance for their song Gabriela (2025). The group also performed Gnarly (2025) as part of the best new artist nominees medley.

This is not the first time Bannerman has stepped back from group activities due to health concerns. In August 2025, she missed Katseye’s performance at music festival Summer Sonic in Tokyo after her condition declined upon arrival in Japan. She also sat out the group’s Seattle concert in December that year after battling illness.

“After sound check today and after consulting a doctor, it became clear that my body just isn’t ready yet,” she wrote on Instagram about the Seattle show at the time. “As much as I wanted to push through, I have to listen to my health.”

Formed in 2023 through reality competition series The Debut: Dream Academy, Katseye comprise Bannerman, Daniela Avanzini, 21, Lara Raj, 20, Megan Skiendiel (a half-Singaporean), 20, Sophia Laforteza, 23, and Yoonchae Jeung, 18. They released their debut single Debut in 2024. They have since released two EPs, SIS (Soft Is Strong, 2024) and Beautiful Chaos (2025).

The group have previously spoken about the pressures and intense online scrutiny that came with rapid fame. In 2025, they revealed that they had received thousands of death threats since their formation.

“If 1,000 people are sending you death threats, it’s jarring,” Raj told BBC News. In the same interview, Bannerman said: “I feel like it’s very terrorising on the mind.” -- The Straits Times/Asia News Network

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Shaping a human-centric future for AI
China superstar Eileen Gu defends Olympic ski halfpipe gold, makes it six medals in six events over Winter Games career
Brazil races to China beef cap as 55% tariff risks price collapse
Arab, Muslim countries slam US ambassador's remarks on Israel's right to Mideast land
Year of the Horse sees movie-inspired tourism surge in China
Afghanistan's ruling Taliban say Pakistan strikes kill, injure dozens
India delays U.S. trade talks after Supreme Court rejects Trump tariffs, source says
German chamber of commerce warns of growing risks in China business
World No. 1 Jeeno Thitikul brings home LPGA win in Thailand, wins by one stroke with a steady last round play
‘The emotional abuse is relentless’: Dad in Singapore gets personal protection order for daughter against mum

Others Also Read