Myanmar expels East Timor's representative over war crimes case


Myanmar's military chief Min Aung Hlaing. - AFP

YANGON: Myanmar's junta on Sunday (Feb 15) announced the ejection of Timor-Leste's top representative in the country, after a rights group said Dili had opened a legal case against the military for war crimes.

Myanmar's military -- which snatched power in a 2021 coup -- has for decades been accused of rights abuses, mostly targeting the nation's ethnic minorities.

The nation is currently defending itself from prosecution at the International Court of Justice over allegations of genocide against the mostly Muslim Rohingya minority.

But the Chin Human Rights Organization (CHRO) said this month Timor-Leste has opened its own case against the junta for both war crimes and crimes against humanity.

The CHRO -- which represents Myanmar's Chin ethnic minority -- said "a senior Timorese prosecutor has been appointed to look into the criminal file" presented by the organisation.

A junta statement said Dili's reported appointment of a prosecutor to probe the case was a "great disappointment".

It said Timor-Leste's charge d'affaires had been summoned on Friday and was given a week to leave Myanmar.

According to the CHRO, its case against the junta includes "irrefutable evidence" of gang rape, a massacre of 10 people, the slaughter of religious officials and a hospital air strike.

The organisation entered the complaint under the principle of universal jurisdiction, which allows domestic courts to try international offences.

The case -- and increasing diplomatic tension -- pits two countries in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) bloc against each other.

Timor-Leste only joined the bloc in October 2025, becoming its 11th member.

The junta statement accused Timor-Leste of violating Asean charter articles that "underscore the importance of upholding respect for sovereignty and non-interference".

The junta previously expelled Timor-Leste's top diplomat in August 2023, over a meeting his government held with a banned shadow administration founded in the aftermath of the coup. - AFP

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Ho Chi Minh launches Vietnam’s first cross-sea UAV delivery route
East China fireworks store explosion kills eight
Over 13,000 Filipinos among 125,000 trafficking victims worldwide: IOM
Anutin says Bhumjaithai party will take charge of security and economy in new Thai govt
Oil drifts ahead of US-Iran nuclear talks
Actress’ LinkedIn stunt strikes a nerve among young Indonesian job seekers
Foreign investors continue as net buyers on Bursa Malaysia for 6th straight week
North Korea's new Congress to reset arms goals as gaps seen in 2021 plan
Alleged Bondi Beach gunman makes first court appearance
‘Sacked MPs free to join any party’

Others Also Read