New Zealand and Kiribati relationship warms with partnership agreement


FILE PHOTO: Residents wade through water during a high tide to reach their homes in the village of Abarao, a town on the island of South Tarawa in Kiribati, March 26, 2016. - The New York Times

WELLINGTON: New Zealand and the Pacific nation of Kiribati signed a new partnership agreement on Monday (Jan 19), signalling a warming of ties that had cooled last year with New Zealand announcing a review of its development programme there.

In January 2025, the New Zealand government said it was reviewing its development aid programme with Kiribati after the country's President and Foreign Minister Taneti Maamau cancelled a meeting with New Zealand’s Foreign Minister Winston Peters.

At the time, the Kiribati government said the president had been on one of the outer islands so would not be able to meet him.

Kiribati, a Pacific Ocean neighbour of Hawaii with a vast Exclusive Economic Zone of 3.6 million square kilometres has developed close ties with Beijing in recent years, including hosting Chinese police.

"Our two countries have had significant political-level dialogue over the past six months, and New Zealand is pleased this has culminated in the signing of a Statement of Partnership today,” Peters, who is visiting Kiribati for the first time since 2019, said. He said the relationship was warm and longstanding.

The joint statement lays out four priority areas for the countries including the desire to pursue greater understanding and strategic coordination on respective foreign policy priorities, health, prosperity and peace and security.

The New Zealand government statement said they had also announced a further commitment towards the prevention of non-communicable diseases and support for maternal and child health, support to enable more Kiribati people to work in New Zealand’s seasonal labour programme and increased funding to address water security. - Reuters

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

US casts Cuba as China-linked security threat while still pushing for talks
Indonesia closes illegal railway crossings to improve safety after several recent tragic incidents
Trump scraps signing AI executive order to keep ‘lead’ over China in industry
Haj pilgrim numbers surpass 2025 arrivals despite Middle East war
One dead, four injured as Hong Kong subdivided flat fire forces 300 to be evacuated
China and Russia unite on world order, but Putin departs without concrete gains
Anwar scheduled to open two-day Sabah Kaamatan festival
Jakarta to open railway station connected to Jakarta International Stadium
Cricket-Kohli refuses handshake with Head after heated verbal spat during IPL clash
Dela Rosa still in Philippines amid ICC arrest warrant: NBI

Others Also Read