Death toll rises to 14 in Indonesian Islamic school collapse, 49 students still listed as missing


Rescuers clear debris from the site of a building that collapsed at an Islamic boarding school during the search for victims in Sidoarjo, East Java, Indonesia, Saturday, Oct. 4, 2025. -- AP Photo/Trisnadi

JAKARTA (dpa): The death toll from the collapse of a four-story Islamic boarding school in Indonesia's East Java Province has risen to 14, officials said on Saturday.

The Al Khoziny boarding school in Sidoarjo district crumbled on Monday during a concrete-pouring operation, trapping scores of students, most of them teenagers.

Suharyanto, the head of the National Disaster Management Agency, said that of the 167 people believed to have been inside the school when it fell, 118 had been accounted for, including 103 survivors.

"That means 49 are still being searched for," he told a press conference.

Suharyanto said victim identification had been complicated by the fact that most of the victims were under 18 and did not have government identity cards or fingerprint records.

"Some of the bodies were too badly damaged to be recognized visually," he said.

Rescue workers have cleared about 40% of the debris, slowed by massive concrete beams that cannot be removed without heavy machinery, he said.

But he said the use of excavators and cranes has been carefully limited to avoid damaging bodies still trapped beneath the rubble. - dpa

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Brunei’s biodiversity celebrated through art
US aggregate site ranks Cambodia first in world for ‘Natural Environment’
Laos begins national campaign to boost interest in vocational skills development
Moderate magnitude earthquake hits Myanmar
Supertanker with Iraqi oil heads for Vietnam after hold-up in US blockade
Indonesia's free meals programme faces mounting governance concerns as Prabowo vows to fix problems
Chinese supermarkets expand in Thailand on low prices and viral buzz
Singapore telecom regulator suspends review of M1, Simba merger
No train service on Singapore's Bukit Panjang LRT between Senja and Bukit Panjang after man falls onto track
Ringgit opens slightly higher against US$ amid cautious market sentiment

Others Also Read