China cuts ties with Czech President over Dalai Lama visit


Czech President Petr Pavel met the 14th Dalai Lama in India in July despite strong opposition from Beijing. - Facebook/DalaiLama

BEIJING: China said it will cease engagement with Czech President Petr Pavel over his meeting with the Dalai Lama, escalating diplomatic tensions between the two countries.

Pavel met the 14th Dalai Lama in India in July despite strong opposition from Beijing, which considers the Tibetan spiritual leader a separatist. The Czech presidential office said the meeting with the Dalai Lama, who celebrated his 90th birthday last month, took place in a private capacity.

"China strongly deplores and firmly opposes this, and has lodged serious protests with the Czech side,” Beijing’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lin Jian said in written remarks on Tuesday (Aug 12). "In light of the severity of Pavel’s provocative action, China decides to cease all engagement with him.”

The central European country’s vocal criticism of human-rights violations in China, as well as active diplomatic and business ties with Taiwan, have repeatedly angered the government in Beijing. In May, Czechs blamed state-linked Chinese hackers for cyberattacks against Foreign Ministry’s unclassified networks. The Chinese Embassy in Prague then rejected the allegations as "unsubstantiated.”

Czech Foreign Minister Jan Lipavsky told reporters that Pavel’s meeting with the Dalai Lama had been private, and he called on China to treat it as such, CTK newswire reported on Tuesday.

Pavel, a former high-ranking Czech military and NATO official, won the presidency two years ago. He replaced Milos Zeman, a strong advocate for closer economic ties with China.

The Dalai Lama had a close relationship with the first Czech post-communist President Vaclav Havel, who repeatedly hosted him in Prague. - Bloomberg

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Indonesia president says ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump's global tariffs
Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Saturday (Feb 21, 2026)
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Japan issues travel alert for over 50 countries amid Middle East escalation and issues
'Still a shocker' - Audrey Fang's death: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
Indonesia did not pay US$1bil to join the Board of Peace, says Foreign Minister Sugiono
Thailand and Myanmar hold talks to re-engage with Naypidaw and Asean after strained ties
Golf-Rahm left out as DP World Tour grants LIV releases, Ryder Cup future uncertain
Turkish Red Crescent aid continues to flow into Gaza after the reopening of Rafah crossing

Others Also Read