Thirty people, including 18 pupils, sustain minor injuries after vehicle hits pedestrians near school in Beijing: police


FILE photo. Pedestrians cross the road past heavily congested traffic in the town centre in Guangzhou in the southern Chinese province of Guangdong. - Photo: AFP file

BEIJING: A vehicle crashed into pedestrians in an "accident" near a school in Beijing on Thursday (June 26), Chinese police said, with footage shared online appearing to show young people lying injured in the street.

Videos geolocated by AFP to an intersection in Miyun district in the northeast of the capital showed a grey SUV wedged against a tree as several people and clothing were seen in the road.

In one clip a bloodied young person was seen being given first aid by somebody in white overalls.

"On June 26, 2025, at around 13:00, a traffic accident occurred near the intersection of Yucai Road and Dongmen Street in Miyun district," local police wrote in an online statement.

A 35-year-old man surnamed Han "collided" with people "due to an improper operation", it said, adding those injured were taken to hospital.

It did not give the number of injured.

"The accident is under further investigation," the statement said.

China has seen a string of mass casualty incidents -- from stabbings to car attacks -- challenging its reputation for good public security.

Last year a man who ploughed his car into a crowd of mostly school children in central China was handed a suspended death sentence with a two-year reprieve.

In November 2024 the attacker named as Huang Wen repeatedly rammed his car into a crowd outside a primary school in Hunan province.

When the vehicle malfunctioned and stopped, Huang got out and attacked bystanders with a weapon before being apprehended.

Thirty people, including 18 pupils, sustained minor injuries.

Some analysts have linked the incidents to growing anger and desperation at the country's slowing economy and a sense that society is becoming more stratified.

In November last year, a man killed 35 people and wounded more than 40 when he rammed his car into a crowd in the southern city of Zhuhai, the country's deadliest attack in a decade.

And in the same month, eight people were killed and 17 wounded in a knife attack at a vocational school in the eastern Chinese city of Yixing. - AFP

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Cargo ship navigator arrested after deadly collision in central Japan
Blackpink becomes first artist to reach 100 million subscribers on YouTube
Myitkyina Airport in Myanmar attacked by drone, MNA Airlines passenger plane hit
Ramadan buffet promotion in Brunei requires Halal certification
Woman who stabbed mother remanded seven days
Rafizi to proceed with lawsuit against Caprice over alleged defamation
Indonesian police probe Rp 25 trillion money laundering linked to illegal gold mining in West Kalimantan
China youth ditch fast living to become ‘old-school humans’; stories get 1 billion views online
Body of drowned Chinese national found
Audrey Fang case: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years

Others Also Read