Senior US, China diplomats hold phone call


BEIJING: Two senior diplomats from the United States and China held a phone call on Thursday (May 22) to discuss "issues of mutual interest", according to official statements.

The call between US Deputy Secretary of State Christopher Landau and China's Executive Vice Foreign Minister Ma Zhaoxu came during a thaw in Washington's bruising trade war with Beijing.

The two officials "discussed a wide range of issues of mutual interest, and agreed on the importance of keeping open lines of communication", US State Department spokeswoman Tammy Bruce said in a statement on Thursday.

"They acknowledged the importance of the bilateral relationship to the people of both countries and the world," Bruce said.

In a statement published Friday morning in China, Beijing's foreign ministry said Ma and Landau had "exchanged views on China-US relations and important issues of common concern".

"The two sides agreed to continue to maintain communication," the statement said.

Neither statement gave further details of the discussion.

After US President Donald Trump took office in January, Washington slapped sweeping tariffs on goods imported from China as part of a trade blitz that rattled global markets and supply chains.

Beijing hit back with retaliatory duties and has consistently derided the US measures as unfair, discriminatory and designed to contain China's rise.

The two sides slashed tariffs on each other's goods for 90 days earlier this month, marking a temporary de-escalation in the trade war. - AFP

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
China , US , talks , trade , Landau , Ma Zhaoxu

Next In Aseanplus News

Indonesia president says ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump's global tariffs
Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Saturday (Feb 21, 2026)
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Japan issues travel alert for over 50 countries amid Middle East escalation and issues
'Still a shocker' - Audrey Fang's death: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
Indonesia did not pay US$1bil to join the Board of Peace, says Foreign Minister Sugiono
Thailand and Myanmar hold talks to re-engage with Naypidaw and Asean after strained ties
Golf-Rahm left out as DP World Tour grants LIV releases, Ryder Cup future uncertain
Turkish Red Crescent aid continues to flow into Gaza after the reopening of Rafah crossing

Others Also Read