Top court overturns Lee’s acquittal in election law case


The country’s Su­­p­reme Court overturned an ear­lier ruling that had cleared election frontrunner Lee Jae-myung of election law violation, throwing into doubt his eligibility to run for the presidency.

Lee, the candidate of the liberal Democratic Party which controls parliament, leads opinion polls to win a snap presidential election sparked by former conservative president Yoon Suk-yeol’s ouster over his imposition of martial law.

The election law violation case against Lee had been closely watched since a ruling that removes him from the ballot could further deepen divisions in society, after months of political turmoil that has hampered efforts to steer Asia’s fourth-largest eco­nomy through the choppy waters of US tariffs.

In March, an appeals court had cleared Lee of violating the election law, but prosecutors had appealed the decision to the Supreme Court.

Lee is embroiled in several criminal trials, but the election law case was in the spotlight because if the Supreme Court overturned Lee’s not guilty verdict and it is finalised, it would bar him from contesting elections for at least five years.

The Supreme Court said that Lee violated election law by publicly stating false facts and ruled to send the case back to the appeals court.

While the Supreme Court moved unusually fast to consider Lee’s election law case, it gave no deadline for the lower court, which usually takes months to revisit rulings and it was unclear if it would come before the June 3 election.

Meanwhile, South Korea’s acting leader Han Duck-soo resigned yesterday ahead of his anticipated run for the presidency.

Prime Minister Han looks set to contest the election so he can leve­rage his higher profile since being thrust into the top post after Yoon’s removal from office.

Finance Minister Choi Sang-mok is seen standing in as acting president as required by law. — Reuters

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

China youth ditch fast living to become ‘old-school humans’; stories get 1 billion views online
Body of drowned Chinese national found
Audrey Fang case: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
All govt agencies mobilised to assist flood victims in Sabah, says Zahid
Three more suspended in HRD Corp governance reset
Probe underway after 72 tigers die at Chiang Mai, Thailand's tiger parks
Penang's esplanade seawall, promenade project wins Unesco heritage award
Duterte at International Criminal Court: How he ended up accused of murder in international tribunal
Ringgit likely to trade cautiously next week ahead of key US data
Malaysia weighs Impact of US tariff ruling, says Johari

Others Also Read