Govt eyes wealthy European tourists to fill China gap


The kingdom plans to step up a campaign to attract high-­spending European tourists as the Chinese, the dominant group of holidaymakers to Thailand before the Covid-19 pandemic, shun it on safety concerns.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand is working with major airlines to increase the frequency of flights to European cities and launch new routes to build on the increase in tourist arrivals seen in the first quarter, the state-run agency said on Friday.

The strategy has seen arrivals jump more than 20% from the United Kingdom, France and Italy so far this year, while visitors from Germany, Spain and the Netherlands increased by 10% or more, it said.

“Forward bookings from long-haul markets remain strong for April to June, with continued momentum expected from the UK, Italy, Spain, Israel and Russia,” the agency said.

The surge in visitors from the long-haul markets, who tend to stay longer and spend more, is in sharp contrast to the decline in tourist arrivals from China.

The ability to pull more non-Chinese travellers will be key to Thailand meeting its goal of 39 million visitors and 2.23 trillion baht (RM290.6bil) in revenue this year, according to the agency.

Safety concerns triggered by a series of high-profile human trafficking to scam centres in Myan­mar via Thailand and a massive earthquake that shook buildings in Bangkok last month led to a decline in Chinese arrivals.

The Chinese tourist arrivals plunged 34% to 53,863 in the week ending April 20, taking the cumulative number this year through April 20 to 1.5 million.

Thai authorities are betting on an improved tourism performance to cushion the blow to its economy from a threatened 36% US tariff on its goods. — Bloomberg

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Indonesia president says ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump's global tariffs
Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Saturday (Feb 21, 2026)
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Japan issues travel alert for over 50 countries amid Middle East escalation and issues
'Still a shocker' - Audrey Fang's death: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
Indonesia did not pay US$1bil to join the Board of Peace, says Foreign Minister Sugiono
Thailand and Myanmar hold talks to re-engage with Naypidaw and Asean after strained ties
Golf-Rahm left out as DP World Tour grants LIV releases, Ryder Cup future uncertain
Turkish Red Crescent aid continues to flow into Gaza after the reopening of Rafah crossing

Others Also Read